Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Active Pup

Question Raw Hides

Does anyone have any info about wether raw hides cause heart disease? A sales assoc at Petsmart told me that they do and dogs shouldnt have them....
Old 01-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziekaiser
Does anyone have any info about wether raw hides cause heart disease? A sales assoc at Petsmart told me that they do and dogs shouldnt have them....
Wow, that is a big claim, I wonder if she has any information to back it up. I have never heard of any such thing.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

I have never heard of that either. I would really like to know if that is true, because I'm sure that there are alot of people who give them to their dogs.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:15 PM
treehugging clicker freak

From what I know this is not true. Unlike humans dogs do not get heart conditions from there diet no matter how improper or fatty it is. Vets recomend certain rawhides for cleaning teeth and such. Why would they do that if raw hides caused heart disease? I believe your Pets Mart worker was missinformed
Old 01-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziekaiser
I have come into contact with someone at PetSmart corporate who is actually concerned about misinformation being passed on, so if you will let me know the location of the PetSmart that gave you this information, she would very much like to check on it and find out why someone would tell you this. She asked for the name of the associate, but, as long as she doesn't have that, she'll have to address the problem, not the person. (I've been hanging around with attorneys for too long.) Obviously, it's not something that PetSmart tells their employees; not only do they sell a large selection of rawhide chews, their website offers information that is truly useful to help you decide what type of chew would be best for your dog.

No, I DON'T work for PetSmart - I don't even shop there, but it really gripes me to hear about silly rumors being passed out as gospel to the consumer, and I like to give the people in charge a chance to improve their customer service - or prove that they don't care.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Alpha Dog

Thanks for the great information!

It is a shame all the disinformation being distributed about our
four legged friends. My take on rawhide products are like other
type digestable products made for dogs.... Don't over do it!
Rawhide treats in moderation shouldn't cause any concern. But if
you are feeding your dog 20 rawhide bones a day, that may be a
bit excessive.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Active Pup

It was at a Petsmart on Colerain Av. In Cincinnati Ohio. I was shocked too. I've always given my dogs rawhides-they love them and it's kept them from wanting to chew on anything that is off-limits to them.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:54 AM
Felurian

I'll post a copy of the last communication from Heather, the PetSmart Customer Service Supervisor, along with my reply. I'd like to encourage you to check out their website for information on the rawhides. It is quite informative and should put your concerns in perspective. You've got to remember, when you are talking to a sales associate, especially in a chain store, you're talking to one of the lowest paid people in the organization. Sometimes you get to talk to a person who really cares about what they are doing, and sometimes you get someone who's just there to collect a meager paycheck on Friday. I worked retail for several years and I've had co-workers of both kinds. It's really a shame; how you perform at your job is a direct reflection on your character, no matter how poorly you are treated or paid by your employer. Poor performance ultimately hurts you more than it does the company.

From Heather:
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, and apologize that the service you received at your local PETsMART store was not what you have come to expect from us.

Along with our mission to help save homeless pets, we strive to provide a pleasant shopping experience with friendly and knowledgeable staff. The health and safety of your pet is a top priority, and I would like to have this situation reviewed with the store associate. If you could provide me with the location of the store you patronize, along with the employees name if you have it, that would be very helpful.

I thank you again for bringing this to my attention, and hope you will allow us to continue to service your pet supply needs. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at [email protected], or by phone at 1-888-839-9638 x756.

Sincerely,

Heather
Customer Service Supervisor
PETsMART.com - Where Pets Are Family!
www.petsmart.com

My reply:
"I found out the store in question is the one on Colerain Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Good luck, and thank you so much for being concerned. It's rarely remembered that the sales associate at the bottom of the food - and pay - chain is the only representation of a retailer that the consumer typically ever has any contact with; that is the impression that determines whether this consumer remains your customer or becomes someone else's customer.

While I am not personally a regular customer (we feed our Filas Innova, which I do not believe you carry), I will remember your concern and pass it on as a positive recommendation - and I will shop PetSmart on the occasions I am buying something that you do carry."
Old 01-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the help! I'll check out their web-site.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Felurian

The last e-mail I got from the customer service supervisor indicates that PetSmart will be checking in on their Colerain Ave. store in the very near future. Sometimes things actually do happen!