Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Default HELP!! gerbil

my gerbils tail was sticking out of the cage and my cat came up and ripped half the tail's skin off!! The bone and flesh are still there and i know it should dry up and fall off but i need to know a few things.

i have my gerbil in a pair should they be separated at least until the blood is gone? Should i clean the cage to make it more sterile? Can the tail get infected? if so then what should i put on it to prevent infection (neosporin), also anything else anyone can think of.

I know they should be in an aquarium not cage but I've had gerbils for 8 years and this has never happened, i feel so stupid, PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:45 PM
and Spy.

Vet.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

i went to some websites and they said to just leave it alone and it will heal on it's own and another said you had to remove the entire tail to keep infection from spreading!!! I hate how websites can be so unreliable sometimes!!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

This happened to one of my rats a few years ago.. If you leave it there's a chance an infection could spread and kill the gerbil.. it's best to see a vet.. if you leave it you're taking a chance.. if you decide to leave it separate your gerbils and keep the injured one's cage EXTRA clean.. put some peroxide on the tail to kill any infection.. then keep putting neosporin on it..

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Big Dog

This is an excellent gerbil forum. http://gerbilforum.proboards21.com/index.cgi Post here.

The tail should heal on its own I believe...This is from the american gerbil society: "Broken Tails:
A totally avoidable problem there are several causes; getting caught in a cage, wheel, or by being grabbed by the tail. This leaves behind an ugly, skinless, but it doesn't require a vet's attention unless it becomes infected. The exposed bone will dry up and fall off within a few weeks."

From National gerbil society: "Loss of Tail"
As you probably know, a gerbil's tail is quite fragile and rough handling can cause the tuft to come away. Very often the bone will be left behind. Whilst it does not look very pleasant, the bone will dry out and then auto amputate after a few days and the end will heal over naturally. I have come across cases where an entire tail has been pulled off. In these cases it is better to get the gerbil examined by a Vet to check that no other damage has been caused. The gerbil will learn to adapt to the loss and will hardly notice its injury.

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie

Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Top Dog

thanks i posted there. Last night i tried to call the vet but they were closed so i'll have to do it tonight. Also to the person who said that this happened to there rat: I don't know much about rats but gerbils tails are designed to come off when they are grabbed and pulled and i don't think rats are, Also i don't really want to seperate my gerbils unless it's completly nessasary because when putting them back together i would have to spend a month doing a split cage method and it still may not work so i would have to seperate them for life which is not good. I don't know if it's the same with rats or not. Thanks anyway for replying, i appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Does the other gerbil seem interested in the wounded tail?
Maybe he won't bother it?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

the other gerbil does not show any interest in the tail she's not licking at it or anything.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

my gerbil just started to chew off the exposed bone and she is squeaking like she is in pain as she chews. Should i stop her?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Big Dog

How are things going? Yuck, she actually chewed off the bony exposed part? Sounds horrible. Hope it is healing okay.

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie