Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Active Pup

Default Help me decide on a breed...

Hi everyone, I'm soon to be a first time dog owner and I've been doing alot of research on different breeds. So far, my favourites have been:

- Pembroke Welsh Corgis
- mini Daschunds
- Beagle
- Basset Hound
- Skye Terrier

my criteria for a breed:
- small to under medium sized
- fairly obedient (especially regarding the "potty" training part)
- tolerence to being alone during the day while I'm at university (most important criteria)
- utmost loyalty and affection
- needs to be moderately active (enjoy walks), but not so much that I need to be around all the time to play with it
- cleaniness

I generally prefer dogs that have really short legs because they look really adorable and I also prefer sharper snouts. I do not like any of the flat-faced breeds.

I'm hoping that I could get any recommendations on other breeds or opinons on the breeds I'm looking at. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:42 AM
Top Dog

From what you described I think a beagle or a mini dashunds sound more of what you need. Terriers are known to be hyper.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:54 AM
no touchy

Terriers are very energetic, and very loud. They're also very stubborn. Cleanliness.....a Terrier loooves to get dirty. My JRT mix absolutely adores the mud. Most all dogs love getting dirty now and then.

Hounds are also very loud. They're sweet dogs.

Are you thinking of getting a puppy? How long are you gone every day?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Felurian

Taking your situation into consideration, I'd strongly suggest that you look into a Basset rescue and get a dog that's past the puppy stage.

A Corgi, Beagle or any Terrier is going to need plenty of exercise, especially when they're young. Beagles love to "sing" and they also tend to be runners and can have a hard time finding their way home! Any of the "minis" are going to be fraught with health problems - and big vet bills. If you like the dachsund, stick with a standard. Dena (Denaluvscorgis) can give you good first-hand information on the Corgi and how one might fit into your life.

The Basset really does sound like the best choice for you based on your descriptions, though.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

I have to say this in reagards for the Bassets. They are stubborn when it comes to housebreaking. Bassets also shed and they have a 'houndy' oder. Actually, if you don't mind a bit bigger dog, I'd suggest a Whippet. They are very clean, quiet, don't know how they are with housetraining, but when using positive meathods, they learn pretty fast, they are loyal, and they are clam indoors but LOVE their running.
I guess that wouldn't fit into your "small, short legged" catagory, but maybe you could look into it. But out of that list, I'd probably suggest a Skye Terrier. But Skyes are very dominant dogs, and aren't for the wishy washy owner.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Felurian

The thing to bear in mind is that NO dog is going to fit into your lifestyle without some adjusments and compromises from your side. You have to figure out where you're willing to or capable of making adjustments and decide accordingly.

Actually, with the exception of your preference for the sharper profile, the French Bulldog might be ideal.

I will, however, give you my standard advice: go to a shelter with an open mind and heart. You're most likely to find the "perfect" dog for you waiting to be saved . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Big Mutts

I comletely agree with Renee, save a shelter dog, they are so appreciative!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:22 PM
no touchy

I would go to a shelter too. We went looking for the perfect dog a few years ago, and found Colby, a JRT/Canaan Dog mix puppy. We weren't looking for a terrier because they can be snappy at times, but Colby has always been a very sweet and tolerant dog. She absolutely looooves little kids. But just to let you know--to have her behave this well we've spent lots of time training and exercising her .
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

Definetely you have to give up some of your lifestyle. For example, staying home more than going out. I see that you a college student and your probably going to be at school and probably out with friends. And if you can't make time then you shouldn't even get a dog. It will probably take you longer to housebreak your dog and maybe lonely. Why not a smaller dog then you can possibly take it out with you more often?
Old 04-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

I was going to answer this when first posted, but I was afraid it would have been the growl heard around the world.!! Did you know that more animals are turned into shelters when college is over and students move on ?? But, I do have what's perfect for you while in school. It's an Avarti...the "kennel" is Applause.....the cutiest stuffed puppies ever made ! Cuddly, clean,no grooming, and you can take them anwhere with your friends.....even bars.