Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Island dweller

Default Little Maria and her letter to the Mayor

Ok. I've started this thread in case people didn't make it to the end of the other one.

In St. John's Newfoundland a girl named Maria wrote a letter to her Mayor about how dog owners should be responsible for their dogs and should need to pass a test.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/nati...nces050415.html

We are extrememly proud of this little girl and would like to let her know how we feel. I've asked the Mayor if we can send her letters to his office and am waiting to here back.

If you are interested in sending me a letter to forward to Newfoundland pm me and I will send you my address. I'll also post the Mayor's office address as soon as I get an ok.

I think it would be great if you shared this with other forums and dog lovers. If these guys are successful it could be set a standard for other municipalities to follow.

CT could you post your letters below?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

Okay, here's what I've got. The first one is for little Maria, the second one is for the mayor. Edit as you see fit.
1. Print out 2 separate letters, one to Maria and one to Mayor Wells. Sign the bottoms and date the tops.
2. Personalize the letters with anything you like for Maria or the Mayor.
3. Send to Saje, who will collect them and ship them off to their ultimate destinations.

Dear Maria,

I read about your letter to Mayor Wells. I think getting owners to pass a test before they can own a “high risk” dog is a wonderful idea! It would do a world of good for the misunderstood dog breeds to be restricted to owners who could prove that they could be responsible. You’ve done a wonderful thing for the dogs, and I know they would all thank you if they could!

Sincerely,

Dear Mayor Wells,

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for considering the concept proposed by Maria Halleran, concerning the licensing of prospective owners of “high risk” dog breeds. I believe strongly in responsible dog ownership for the life of the dog. Careless owners don’t just put their dogs at risk, they put the community at risk. Too many dogs lose their happiness, health, homes, and lives when an owner doesn’t devote the time and resources to making sure their dog is a safe, positive animal.

I understand the logistical problems associated with the proposal, but I hope to see that such a process is implemented for the benefit of all, human and canine alike. I support and admire your efforts to create a community educated in the responsibilities and rewards of conscientious dog ownership.

Sincerely,

Old 04-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

Kudos !!!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

If I post this on another dog forum and they want to send a letter what should I do?
I don't want to just give them your adress, so do I give them the adress of the mayor?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Island dweller

Sure. You could do that. I'll see if I can find it. I haven't heard back from him yet but I'm sure it's ok.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Okay I'll have them e-mail you.
thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Mop Lover!

wow! that girl must be really responsable

"You may have a dog that won't sit up, roll over or even cook breakfast, not because she's too stupid to learn how but because she's too smart to bother." - Rick Horowitz
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Island dweller

No one else? I'd have thought there'd be more interest.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Trained by an Airedale

Whoops! I've only just picked up this post, I'm hopping on and off the pc like a yo-yo this week and am getting a bit random with viewing posts. Is it too late to do this?