Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Active Pup

Default puppy dribbling

Hi, I have a four month old lab/newfie mix. Whenever he meets somebody new or hasn't seen me in awhile he dribbles urine a little bit. I don't think it is a medical condition as I have him lasting eight hours at night. At the kennel yesterday, someone said that it is a sign of submission. I was wondering if anyone knows if that is true?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Love my pets

My previous 2 dogs always did this. It was out of excitement.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04
My previous 2 dogs always did this. It was out of excitement.

Yes, I have known some dogs that do this when they get excited. I think they usually grow out of it.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I know a lot of dogs that did that when they got excited. They usually grow out of it. My sister's boxer did it until she was about a year old.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Don't encourage me..

Mum's friend Cairn terrier does it when she's over excited!! We all have to go in through the garden now so we can greet Penny outside!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Felurian

It can either be excitement or submission, and you can get an idea of which it is by how your dog acts right before it happens, depending on if the dog assumes submissive postures or shows submissive behavior prior to piddling. There will likely be submissive behaviors afterward, because your dog knows that piddling in the house is a no-no, so you can't judge by that.

Most of the time, when this happens at the entrance of a person your dog knows and likes or even a stranger that presents no threat, this is just puppy-excitement and they do grow out of it. Nothing to worry about - just keep a supply of paper towels and cleaning spray, lol!

Shiva did it until she was about 7 months old. Talk about BIG piddle-puddles!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-13-2005, 10:43 AM
I want 2 b a dog 4 a day

My dog Jasmine did this too. Anytime anyone would come into the house that she hadn't seen in more than 24 hours she would pee a little bit. She did this up until about 2 or 3 months ago. She started doing it when she was just a little puppy until about 26 months old. She won't do it now even if you try to get her all excited. So it could take a while, but the puppy should grow out of it.

www.dogster.com/?245038
www.dogster.com/?245035.
www.dogster.com/?245031
Old 04-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Active Pup

Default I think it is excitement

Thanks for your replies. I think it is excitement too, because he only does it when he is excited and I don't think he can control it. Also, he doesn't act as if he even knows he is doing it. I just thought it was weird when the guy at training class said that it was submissive when another dog did it...but I guess the other dog was older so it could be.

Tarna
Old 04-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

Toki does it but it's not that bad anymore.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

It's out of excitement. My friend has a cocker that does/did this every time I visited. We would make it a point where I didn't pay any attention to her until I was settled in and she was more calm with having a visitor. She doesn't do it anymore because she realizes it's not going to be all hyper and loving on her when I get there (not that it ever was, but that's what she wanted!). Just teach your visitors to "ignore" the dog until he/she is ready to socialize without being a freak.