Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Default Laws!

The threads about shooting cats and selling 4-5 week puppies, etc. has got me wanting to start a thread on what we can do to help curb the problem. Who knows, maybe we could be a grass roots organization (yet another to help try and educate and lobby for a change?).

I really think the majority of "loving" pet owners are in it for the good. They spay/neuter their pets. Many shelters and humane societies spay/neuter before the animals can be adopted. And that's good. Many shelter and humane societies give a "certificate" towards spay/neuter. Bad idea. They either follow through with the cause, or they don't. If someone can't afford to spay/neuter their pet, then they can't afford the pet.

There needs to be more regulation on who gets to breed. I know this sounds simple, and I know it's NOT! Don't get me wrong. But there's GOT to be a line drawn somewhere. To begin with, there should be NO pets sold in petstores. If that stops, the puppymills, etc. stop (or it will go underground, for sure). Second of all, there needs to be strict regulations on breeders. No more backyard breeders where they think it would be cute to breed their golden to a poodle down the road and start selling Golden Doodles without knowing what the h*ll they're doing. And unless you are "furthering the breed" for show or for breeding in LIMITED instances, you are not to breed your dog.

Is this so far-fetched in our future? There will always be "strays" and those that fall through the cracks. But, I am at least encouraged by the rights our animals are receiving more and more these days. Your thoughts are welcome to this subject!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

I agree, but doesn't PetSmart only bring in pups that need homes and don't buy them from mills ?? Fine line there.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

That's considered "rescue" where they already SHOULD have those prerequisites in order. I'm talking about the "Mr. Bill's" or "Pass Pets" in the malls, etc. where they sell puppy mill puppies for outrageous amounts of money and they're nominal and sick...
Old 04-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

That I agree on !! I once went to a petstore in a mall that had a beautiful golden puppy in window....as I was a golden breeder, I went in and asked the price....$800. compared to my $350. I asked to see the predigree, history, OfA/ etc etc and they had nothing except a paper showing only sire and Dam....both AKC but nothing else. Disgusting! and I told them so,
Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

The "PetsMarts" of the world are at least on the up and up with not selling puppies/dogs/kittens/cats. They bring in those from the shelters for "showings" for adoptions. There's quite a difference.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

BTW..... someone did buy that puppy which had worms, parvo, etc etc and the vet said it should be put down ; they returned it and waited for a breeder I recommended as I wasn't breeding for another year or 2.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
BTW..... someone did buy that puppy which had worms, parvo, etc etc and the vet said it should be put down ; they returned it and waited for a breeder I recommended as I wasn't breeding for another year or 2.
I don't think anyone here knows what you're talking about. Please keep your subject matter to that that makes sense to others. Thanks...
Old 04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Big Mutts

It does make sense, bubbatd is refering to the puppy seen in the petstore.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapeach
It does make sense, bubbatd is refering to the puppy seen in the petstore.
I know what it's about... she's my mother and forgets sometimes that this isn't a chat room for "us" (LOL). I would like to know what happens to those poor puppies that get "returned" to the pet stores -- on second thought, I don't want to know
Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Big Mutts

Sorry, didn't realize that you were teasing. We don't mind if you chat. Yeah, I agree those poor puppies, I don't want to think about it either. We bought what we thought was a pomerinian from a petstore (when I was 2). She kept getting bigger and bigger, my mama took her back to ask why and maybe get some money back. The lady at the store told her she'd take the puppy back and refund us but we were already very attached to her.