Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Big German Shepherd

Smile I'm So Proud of Rocky!

Today has been a pretty good day of house training. Only 1 accident.

Well, anyway I put him in the kitchen because I was about to take a nap (real tired). I found myself on here and talking to a friend instead . Well, he fell alseep for a while and then about an hour and a half later I hear him whining very loud. So I go in there and take him out assuming he has to use the bathroom. I've done this before so I wasn't expecting him to do anything but it wasn't worth the risk.

But he did! He pooted and peed! LOL! Something weird to be happy about but I am! It was like he called me telling me, "Yo, man . . . I gotta go!"

Hehe, I was really proud of him and since then I've been taking him out after a nap, eating, drinking, and playing. And besides that one accident earlier . . . it's been good.

So I thought I'd share my joy!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Big German Shepherd

Thanks, Emma! Your help has been priceless. I was just so surprised but I'm very happy to see him improving!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

Something I kept meaning to mention to you, but I forgot. This is something I've used on a lot of dogs who had accidents in the house.

Get yourself a little tinkly bell in a craft store. (They're all over the place around December.) Hang it on the door to the yard by a string right down to Rocky's nose level. Show him how it makes noise, and praise him every time you jingle it like it's a fun game. Then you can either hold a treat next to it or put a little peanut butter on it to show him how to touch it with his nose. When he does touch it and it jingles, immediately let him outside. Every time he touches the bell he gets to go out. And if you're taking him out on your own accord, encourage him to ring the bell with his nose before you open the door. The goal is to get him to make the connection that "ring=outside". Then he has a fool-proof signal to tell you that he needs out. It works like a charm!

And you're very welcome. I'm only happy when I help!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:28 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Thumbs up

that is the best part of being a bigdogdaddy..you helped him learn
Old 04-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Island dweller

yeah bigdogdaddy and rocky!
Old 04-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Jerk.

Good job! Ive been meaning to do the bell thing for a while now, most times I understand the "I have to go out" look but not allways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 04-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Big German Shepherd

Thumbs up

Yup, yesterday Rocky actually had another accident later on.

So, like what, 2 or 3 accidents that day. Not bad, at least for me it isn't .

He really did a great job. He hasn't done that great in a while. I'm very proud of him. I felt like it was a sign that he is improving . . . gradually. I was starting to think he would never be house trained .

LOL, but I appreciate everyone's help in giving advice in one of my dozen house training threads. And Creature Teacher, for helping me work on obedience. Y'all helped me with him a lot .
Old 04-02-2005, 09:15 AM

awwwwww, good for Rocky...good for you!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Don't encourage me..

I had a bell by the door! I took it off in the end because Gus was just using it all the time (like every 5 mins!!)! Everytime our neighbours dog barked he wanted out, everytime the wind rustled the trees in the garden he wanted out, it was getting ridiculous!!! And of course you can't not let him out incase he really does need out to go to the toilet! So in winter when the doors closed (in the summer the door is always open!) I ask him if he needs out and he'll let me know if he does! He doesn't go if he doesn't need to because it's cold out!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch