Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Big Dog

Default best store bought puppy food

short n simple..
Old 03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I use Eagle Pack, I buy that at a store. What exactly are you referring to when you mean store bought?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 AM
Quigleyfied

best? best what?

best ingredient quality? best ingredient composition? best for what size of dog?

answers aren't as simple as you might expect, since different animals have different needs and even the perceived "best" food for one can do serious damage to another.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:40 AM
Big Dog

I haven't seen any good brands sold at a grocery store or super store like Wal-Mart. I suppose the best would be Iams, and that's pretty scetchy quality.

Sorry, but you'll likely have to go to a pet store if you want healthy food for your dog.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:42 AM
no touchy

I agree with homelessdog. It's pretty hard to find a high-quality pet food at a regular grocery store. A natural healthfood store like Whole Foods sells some higher quality brands.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Big Dog

lol no no no lol im sorry.. i know i have to go to a pet store lol.. petsmart is prly my fav. store ever lol even better then j.crew (clothing store) lol but what would b best for a small breed dog pupy (min pin/5months).. hes been eating pro plan purina.. the question is what is the best dog food in general.. thnx guys.. sry for the misunderstanding lol
Old 03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Quigleyfied

there is really no such thing as "the best food". since every dog is different, but with the additional info you gave we can get a little closer to what you are looking for.

if you are limited to big chain stores, there isn't much good stuff out there. the only good food petsmart carries is the "blue buffalo" line. nutro natural choice ultra is not a bad food, but it is quite a step down from blue and much more expensive than even some of the really high end products.

petco is even more difficult, the only thing i'd buy from there is natural balance. i have seen that some individual petcos carry solid gold now, which is good (i'd rather buy that than nutro natural choice ultra), and on their website they sell eagle pack, and the holistic varieties of that are also good quality.

for the top-quality foods you'll have to go to smaller, independent pet stores (or small local chains/franchises) or feed stores.

all questions of individual needs aside, the best thing on the market (in my opinion) is currently innova evo. it's a completely grain free food that contains far more meat than anything else out there and has top-quality ingredients, no synthetic vitamins and is manufactured in a very gentle cooking process that preserves nutrients better.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Active Pup

We use Purina and have no problems. We have used Ol Roy and it upset are dogs stomaches so we switched to Purina and have had no problems. We did use Science Diet it got to be to expensive for a large dog and a med. size dog. Science diet is good food if you only have one dog otherwise it gets to expensive.
~!~Mandy~!~
Old 03-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Island dweller

I don't like any of those brands Iluvmyanimals05. They don't use any quality ingredients and are full of fillers and by-products. Plus, I'm sure they torture their test animals.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Don't encourage me..

I use Royal Canin Maxi for large dogs is the most expensive, I know that this doesn't mean it's the best, but as I can't get anything better here! France has a very limited range of dog foods! Guess the French aren't as worried about it as you Americans!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch