Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Default tragic using retractable.

One of my friend's friend ran over a dog yesterday. THe person was crossing the street and the dog was way behind with a long retractable leash. So she saw the man cross the street but no dog so made a right turn and ran over a dog. The dog was like medium size so I guess you can't see the dog if it was right infront of your car. I just can't believe someone who will leave their dog 50 feet behind while crossing the street. Whose there to blame for a situation like this? That is why I carry my dog when I cross the street cause you never know.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Dog Spoiler

Thats why I use a leash that keeps my dog's close to me. Enough crazy people and crazy dogs out here.Need a way to get them behind me in case something happens.

-Jon
Old 03-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Don't encourage me..

I feel sorry for your friend Candy722! She must be really upset! I always walk with Gus next to my leg.

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

thats sad but its the owners fault i walked kayko on a retratable leash but i use it as a regular one till get get where i can let it loose~ its so sad
Old 03-30-2005, 05:13 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

DO NOT DO NOT LIKE RETRACTABLE LEASHES!!!! my leash (because my dog is tall ) is tless than three feet..more like two. That is all i ever needed unless i was in charge of a short dog..all the length does is make the situation worse..i am sooooo sorry for your friend..oh how sick they must feel.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Same here smkie there are so many dangers with those things. My vet once told me a story that just chunred my stomach about those darn things. This man brought in his dog who got in a dog fight. The dog turned out to be fine but was on a retractable leash during the fight. Well his owner was just wearing shorts and the leash cut into his leg really badly. He hadent been to doctor for himself yet when he brought his dog in and so my vet said he was bleeding all down his leg and on the floor.

He said he also had a dog brought in that some neighbors brought in because their neighbors had kepted the dog chained up just with a retable? The dog did'nt even have a coller and so just had this sharp nylon rope and it dug into the poor things neck.

My own personaly story with those darn things my sister owns two one for Jordan and One for Baby Doll. One day my oldest nephew christian was walking Jordan and Baby Doll when *dun dun dun* a squirrel ran out in front and boths dogs walked it. Well we look back on this now and laguh but Jordan is much bigger and stranger then Baby Doll and was kinda walking behind christian (he was just walking them around the yard) and so when he ran after the squirrel it tripped and him and gave him a perfect rope burn across both his shins. At this point he not being ver responsible wasent putting up much of a fight with Baby Doll and when she pulled away the handle part of the leashe flew up and hit him under the eye. So the poor kid had rope burn and a black eye.

Needless to say im not a big fan of these leashes.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

I never liked the idea of retractable. My boyfriend uses it and I think it's bad. I don't think it's a good idea to let your dog ahead of you 25 ft. When your walking outside you will be full responsible for your dog and you never know what will happen. Maybe someone may walk by and your dog don't like the person and bite them. How fast can you stop your dog from bitting a stranger when their 25 ft ahead? My dog don't bite but that was just an example. Oh yeah , my friend's friend was terrified that day. It's like you know it isn't your fault but you still feel bad because you ran over an innocent dog that caught in your blind spot.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Dog Spoiler

Ya, the feeling must be horrible. I felt bad when I accidentally stepped on a frog. A mammal must be 10000000000000 times worse.

-Jon
Old 03-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

I use a retractable leash when walking my dogs but it only has about 10 feet of leeway, also my dogs are trained to wait at the crosswalk for me and they walk next to me while crossing just as my children do.
Also I am always aware of our surroundings and I "reel them in" if there are people coming towards us.
I think it is quite handy for a situation where you can't let your dog off lead but you still want it to be able to go and sniff around without pulling you with them.
That is so sad for your friend, I would say it is the owners responsibility 100%.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
no touchy

I have three dogs and one 16' retractable Flexi lead. I only use this when we are away from any dangers, like cars. Yesterday I couldn't find Tippy's 4' nylon lead so I put her on the Flexi. I kept it locked at around 2' most of the walk. Once a week I walk a small dog, and I think her owners only have two retractables. One is 10', which I usually walk her on. She can't go in the street with it and I either pick her up when crossing streets or lock it at a short length and cross.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.