Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Default Is it considered responsible breeding if...

You breed just for pets. Say you get your dogs checked out you know, their purebreds ect, health testing, sound temperment, only breed with a long time inbetween ect ect. Or when you breed should you be giving them mostly to homes that will show them or work them?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

I've heard no it's not responisble to breed just for pets.

When people who are breeding for show, have pups, most of the time there are many pups that won't be able to show. So, those are the puppies that can be sold as pets.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Collie Crazy

Yes it is still irresponsible breeding IMO. Like Roxy's CD said, even breeders of champion dogs will produce pet quality pups. Why intentionally prduce a a whole litter of pet quality pups? It doesnt make sense and all they are doing is contributing to over population
Old 08-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Walks into Mordor

If there is a spay/neuter contract on all pups, and the breeder is willing to take back the pup at any time during its life, I don't think it's irresponsible.

However, I don't really see the point of such an undertaking. Pet quality pups are produced by responsible breeders on a regular basis, and are sold for a low price. Why would a person get a pup from pet quality parents, when the same sum would get them a pup from show quality parents?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:13 PM
tessa_s212

In cockers, you will come across the occasional reputable pet cocker breeder. And this is where I find it hard to just see it as black and white. I know of a breeder that gets their dogs from show homes, health tests, raises the puppies VERY well, etc etc. They do everything a responsible breeder does, except show their dogs. And yes, their puppies are sold on S/N contracts and limited registration.

But, my general opinion is no. You shouldn't. But, altough I might believe breeding for pets isn't the best idea, I can't condemn those that do it responsibly.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Dog Show Addict

Breeding for just "pet quality" is an insane idea..

EVERY reuptable breed knows that in every litter there will be a 95% change of at least one puppy being "only pet quality/sports quality"
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Quigleyfied

In my opinion, it's irresponsible to just breed for pet quality.

If you do the required health testing for the breed and do your research to find a dog with qualities that complement and enhance those of yours and you choose to sell the resulting puppies to pet homes, I don't see an issue.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I think it's really going to depend on who you ask!

IMO, breeding just for pet quality is wrong, breeding should be to better the breed by using the utmost quality dog of that specific breed.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:47 PM
whatszmatter

My definitions are different, but if someone did everything in the way of testing, contracts, support after the sale, etc, I wouldn't call them irresponsible so to speak, but unethical. There's far to many perfect pets created on accident and are easy to find to purposely breed pets. There are worse things they could be I guess, but its very rare to find someone that would go thru all that trouble to breed pets, its a very hypothetical question and not something you really find in the real world.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Having bred show quality tested Retrievers to mostly people who wanted them as their family dog , I feel I did no wrong. My mentor ( shower , judge and breeder ) and I were the only breeders in town for about 20 years. Theym only bred 2 of their dogs, I only one....litters ever 2 to 3 years. I bred for 35 to 40 years and always had a waiting list....I had many families who had gotten pups from 3 or 4 litters ....10 years apart. Whip me if you want to...... I've had my dogs go to Florida, Colorado, Ill , Ohio, New York and Md. So yes... I bred pet quality dogs.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/