Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Big Dog

Question American Cheese Slices

My vet suggested I put Bailey's antibiotics in a piece of cheese so he can eat it. That works very well, and I have been using small pieces of this cheese as his "special crate training treat".

He seems to be handling it well (no signs of illness), and it is very effective. I just want to make sure this cheese isn't unhealthy. I haven't heard anything about the effects of cheese on dogs.

Thanks!

Cindy
Old 03-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Felurian

Cheese is okay for dogs, although too much can make them constipated - just like humans, lol!

My only reservation about giving an antibiotic in cheese is that many antibiotics shouldn't be taken with dairy products as it interferes with absorbtion.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Try peanut butter. Brady LOVES peanut butter. It makes his coat so pretty too. I give him a milk bone with peanut butter every day before I leave.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Big Dog

I thought he was having a little difficulty with the "second" part of going potty... Poor guy. I think I will try the peanut butter and doggy biscuit idea, he does love the peanut butter I put in his Kong. Now he is starting to pick up on the crate training, and I have gone from clicking and treating every 10-15 minutes he is in the crate to once when I put him in and let out. I just needed something quick at first, cheese is quick.

Thanks for the information and ideas, guys!

Cindy
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Felurian

Another "quickie" is to stick his pill in a piece of hotdog or Vienna sausage.

They do love that peanut butter, don't they? and it's so much fun to watch them eat it, lol

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Big Dog

That is another great idea! Would I need to cook the hot dog first? (I heard somewhere hot dogs aren't safe unless they are cooked.)

Thanks!

Cindy
Old 03-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Big Mutts

Sometimes I wrap Carey's meds in a lil' piece of bread. I've done the hot dog thing and not cooked it so I;d like to see respond to that question. It's same thing as bologna isn't it?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Big Dog

I don't know. It did seem a little far fetched to me since people feed raw hot dogs to their kids all the time and nothing bad happens, but I just wanted to make sure before I gave it to him. I would feel horrible if I fed him anything that made him sick!

I haven't tried giving him anything with bread yet, I think I'll try that, thanks.

Cindy
Old 03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Big Mutts

Yeah that's what I was thinking about the kids and hotdogs. You could also get soft treat and stick pill in middle. Carey's really good at spitting out med.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:47 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

victor spits out hotdogs and bologna..i don't think he is a normal dog. i swear he says gack! you can always rub a bit of butter on that pill and it will slide right down. My mother laughed at me til she had tears running down her face when my daughter was about 4 and had her first pill. I just reached down popped open her mouth..put that pill all the way to the back as i have done a thousand times with dogs and it was gone. then i handed her a drink of water. If your quick they don't ever even taste it.