Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Show Dog

Default Spaying issues

I too just read through the spay thread. WOW! Seems I was blasted as well. Oh well BUT, for the record, so its clear again.....

MY Zoey was put under and went into cardiac arrest while UNDER. The Vet didn't even have her completely sewed back up after the C section before she went. He had to quickly react - get her breathing and stable.

Do you think he should have called me in between CPR and ask if I'd like her spayed??? I think not.

Also, yes I'd like her spayed. But now I'm petrified of her being under. Is this not understandable??? Geesh!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

It's understandable.. but at the same time, don't be tempted to have more puppies yano...

Not having an animal s/n is fine as long as you take responsibility. Don't allow your unaltered animal to run around.. blah blah blah

Medical issues are understandable. It's HOW you deal with them that might not be.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Show Dog

If I have a safe way to spay her, then YES, I am getting her spayed. Her health and safety is what matters to me. I depend on you's here at Chaz to educate me , as I am very much still learning and I'm not afraid to admit that. Boy I have tons to learn! I'm the first to admit that! I can take critisism, but just so everyone knows...I'm only here to learn And maybe make a few friends
Old 08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Very good reply Roxy
Old 08-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

LOL, I believe on another thread Red had mentioned putting her under with gas and not intravenously.. Maybe that's something you could ask your vet about.

Other than that I don't have any ideas, but I definitely wouldn't bash you for having an unaltered dog that is cared for responsibly.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBree
I too just read through the spay thread. WOW! Seems I was blasted as well. Oh well BUT, for the record, so its clear again.....

MY Zoey was put under and went into cardiac arrest while UNDER. The Vet didn't even have her completely sewed back up after the C section before she went. He had to quickly react - get her breathing and stable.

Do you think he should have called me in between CPR and ask if I'd like her spayed??? I think not.

Also, yes I'd like her spayed. But now I'm petrified of her being under. Is this not understandable??? Geesh!
I am suprised that your vet didn't ask you if you wanted her spayed before he started surgery. A c-section is much quicker and easier if the bitch is being spayed at the same time. Most vets ask this beforehand. Regardless, I am glad she made it through and is doing well
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Hey sorry if I was rude about anything I said to you. I was kinda caught up in the whole mood of the thread if that makes sense. Anyway, as long as you are responsible about it and don't let her wander off. In other words, don't take her off leash while outside, thats fine. I am a little suprised that the vet didn't ask you before hand too. I mean that should be common sense from the vet shouldn't it?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
overdogged

if you're truly interested in having her spayed, talk to your vet. there are various types of anesthesia that can be used. i had my 15 year old poodle with congestive heart failure put under to have her teeth done because they were just that bad. she was on iv fluids and we used a different type of anesthesia from what is normally used.

was there a risk? absolutely. but it was a calculated one and she did fine.

what happens if your girl gets a pyometra? what happens if she gets a mammary tumor? what happens if she simply needs a dental cleaning?
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

While I agree with your fear on spaying her, I also agree that you should look into other alternatives for putting her under like Elegy and others stated. I would be scared to if it were my girl to But you have to understand that it is a risk for any animal or human to be put under the knife and I would say 99% of the time everything is alright IMO . Now my question for you is Chibree, how many pups are you keeping? and will you have the ones you keep fixed ?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Show Dog

I'm most like only keeping the Cleft Pallate baby (the cream) because I can not give her to a home where I'm not sure she'd be taken care of properly, as she will have special needs. With all the bottle feeding I've become her mom and Zoey her step mom