Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Default Hiking with your dog

There is a website I thought I would share where you can find places that allow dogs so that you can go hiking with your dog.

It is www.hikewithyourdog.com

Has anyone taken their dog anywhere that they just really loved? I may try one of the places on the Tennessee section. Supposedly it has waterfalls and good trails that they can go on with you. Liz may take Jenny with us too.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 AM
no touchy

I just bought a book around a week and a half ago about hiking with your pups. I've never brought my girls camping or anything, but we hope to soon.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:38 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I got to go camping with Bronki one time...it was just the most fun. Jim took us, we had clear blue days and fires at night with thick (im so sorry cows) steaks and marshmallows to roast. It ws bronki's first fire. I will put some pics from our trip in the gallery. I wanted to go again, but Jim said if I took BRonki and Mary, he was going to take Garg and Annie as well. Since Garg hated Bronki and vise versa, there was no point in going. I hope when Hyia is old enough, I can take her and the dogs to someplace nice. We went in the late fall so there were no insects, or poison ivy to speak of, but it was great warm weather and cool nites. Bronki found a cave on his own in the dry creekbed. cool air just streamed out of there. It was a wonderful experience that i am glad we both had, and wish Jim had not been so stubborn (we could have taken alternating doggy years) and stopped the fun.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Smkie - that sounded like so much fun! You should do it again!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:45 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i wish Jim hadn't been so jealous of bronki. I will never understand it. I loved Mary's brother Garg, he was a great, wonderful big baby with no manners what so ever. Jim just never made him mind and a vacation in a rv with that big lout would not have been a vacation at all. Bronki didn't need a leash, you never had to worry about him wondering off..I'd never have attempted taking all of them the day that Garg bit Bronki putting 17 stiitches below his eye was the last time he saw him again. jim let his ego get in the way of some wonderful times. Now it is to late. going by myself (as a woman) seems a little risky. maybe one day i can talk someone big and human and male into going with me..or i will get the courage up to go myself. Who knows.i was just thinking i found the best old pic of two babies and their dogs that were the best dipection of me and Jim..i need to find that and post it.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Island dweller

Maverick and I both love swimming. He is a much stronger swimmer! And we would got to some mountain lakes. Do some walking/day hikes. Maverick and I were the only ones that would get in the lake below a waterfall that ran from the mountain. Now that was icy!

Maverick 'rescues' me all the time when I swim. If he thinks I go out too far he gets nervous and whines and swims out to me, circles me and I grab his tail and he pulls me home. It's kind of like grabbing a waterski! He's a strong swimmer!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Maverick and I both love swimming. He is a much stronger swimmer! And we would got to some mountain lakes. Do some walking/day hikes. Maverick and I were the only ones that would get in the lake below a waterfall that ran from the mountain. Now that was icy!

Maverick 'rescues' me all the time when I swim. If he thinks I go out too far he gets nervous and whines and swims out to me, circles me and I grab his tail and he pulls me home. It's kind of like grabbing a waterski! He's a strong swimmer!
He is such a sweet boy! I love him to pieces and I don't even know him!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Island dweller

(That park was listed on the site http://www.hikewithyourdog.com/besthikes.html)
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Island dweller

He is wonderful the big do-do. LOL He's such a baby. Last night I was VERY GENTLY brushing him because he is shedding and he WOULD NOT tolerate it. He went and curled up (into a giant ball) in the corner as far from me as possible. He hates being brushed! And I was doing it so nicely. I get knots! I understand. LOL
Old 03-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

LOL! Poor baby! Brady loves to be brushed, he has semi-long fur but for some reason he does not mind it. He will run right over to you and love all over you while he is being brushed. Now my cat hates it. She will complain and bite you over and over again. She has no tolerence for being brushed.