Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 03-06-2005, 01:47 PM
puppy mom

Default Bad skin

My Dobie has developed really bad skin. His skin is very oily and has dandruff. I've upped his bathing to once a week, which has helped, but the dandruff starts coming back within two days and his fur still feels oily on his back as soon as he dries off.

I'm using a shampoo for oily dogs, but it's not helping his back much, and he's still itching constantly. I know that I'm bathing him correctly... I use to be a bather for the local groomer for over a year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an oily dog??
Old 03-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Taco Dog

Try Head & Shoulders human shampoo. Mix it 1 part shampoo and 4 parts water.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 03-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Show Dog

I've heard that works well (head and shoulders that is) ..

My groomer also suggested if i wanted to, to try sardine oil in their food has a lot of oils to i think help with the dandruff..

i use missing link and mix it in my puppy oreo's food.. i can tell the difference now...
Old 03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
puppy mom

Thanks for the suggestions! Sunday is bath day, I'll let you all know how it works out.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Felurian

What is he eating?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-10-2005, 01:25 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

flax seed oil might be better than fish oil..but maybe i am wrong..that is what my brother is using..my mother is taking it as well because it is a good fat and she needs some good fat on her thin bones.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Island dweller

Avocado is a wonderful fat to Smkie. Maybe you should tell your mom to eat more guacamole! It's my fave.

Valkie, what kind of food is your dog eating? There is usually a reason for greasy hair/skin.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:24 PM
puppy mom

he is picky as far as his food goes. When I first adopted him, we tried Eukanuba (I know I spelt that wrong), Science Diet, ect... he refused to eat any of it even though the shelter said that that was what he was on... and he went from the 110lb mush that we adopted down to 94lbs.

The only thing that we've been able to find that he'll eat on a daily basis is that cheap ass Walmart brand Old Roy Lamb and Rice mix. That and he's constantly eating the cat food...

I would think that the cat food has fish oil in it... or maybe he just likes the cat nip .

There is one more thing that I didn't think of when I first put the post up... He'll get these patches of fur that just don't grow in right. God, I don't even know how to explain it... it's like 20 hairs try to grow out of the same folicle. They become ingrown, get infected, and turn into this... like, giant zit thing. (I thought of this one because I had to deal with two patches on his legs earlier today) They look half bald, but when you really look at them, you can see the tops of the hair bunches on the skin. I know that they are painful because he doesn't like anyone touching them... the skin gets really hard and swollen. It's gotten to the point where once a month, I have to check him to make sure that the hairs are growing in right. If they aren't, he's a good boy and lets me pop the bad ones and the others I have to pull out with a pair of tweezers. Has anyone else had to deal with this or possibly know how to prevent it?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Felurian

Right there's your problem. He's literally eating toxic food. The Eukanuba and Science DIEt aren't much better either.

You need to get him detoxed or those skin problems stand a high probability of getting chronic. I get so angry at these dog food manufacturers. You ought to be able to buy dog food without having to turn into a researcher, but they lie and sell you poison for your companions.

I'm betting Mordy can give you some very direct advice on getting his system cleaned out and getting this problem cleared up before it turns into something worse. A lot of us here feed Innova, and the EVO formula is particularly good. Your poor guy's system is just overloaded and is trying to excrete all that garbage.

By the way, no self respecting dog can pass up stinky cat food, lol! They'll even take it after it's been through the cat . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Island dweller

LOL Renee.

She's absolutely right Valkie. It's a horrible industry but a few companies, like Innova, are moral and make good products. I'm going to get Mordy's attention on this thread as she can explain it better than I can and has maybe even heard of hair cases like yours.