Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,291
Default Vaccine Dilemma

I am probably over thinking this WAY too much.

Abrams is due for his first yearly vaccines at the end of the week. Here is my delimma.

All of the vets I have checked with down here do NOT give 3 year DA2PP vaccines. I refuse to give the vaccine yearly. The science behind a 3 year vaccine, or longer, is there. The fact that no vets do it down here just makes me feel they are behind in the times and makes me not want to give them my money anyways.

We'll be going back up north over Christmas with the dogs in tow, and I can have Abrams' vaccines updated at my old clinic at that time. But that is four months from now, and I don't know if I want Abrams' overdue for that long for his first yearly set.

I'd like to have the dogs "up to date" on their vaccines should we ever need to emergency board them somewhere, but I'm having a huge conflict with that stupid DA2PP. Vets here won't give it, but they'll honor records stating 3 years. WTH.

If you were me, what would you do? Will Abrams still be sufficiently protected if I wait the 4 months? (There have been parvo outbreaks in the area.) We *shouldn't* need to board this year, if I can reserve a pet sitter like I want to for a time I'll be gone in October. Or should I just vaccinate him, then worry about getting him on a 3 year schedule next year when timing may work out better?

Told you I was really over thinking it. Also, I miss my vet. *sigh*
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM
SpringerLover's Avatar
SpringerLover SpringerLover is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B-ville
Posts: 3,236
Default

If it were my dog, I'd likely wait until I went back home. Because it's DHPP, not Rabies. But I also don't see a problem with giving another "1 year" vaccine.
__________________
Megan and the Aroha English Springer Spaniels
To Infinity and Beyond! ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC 5/4/1998-5/20/2014
The Hallway Monitor Bailey VCD1 RE NAC NCC TN-N CGC 14 years
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2014, 11:14 AM
xpaeanx's Avatar
xpaeanx xpaeanx is offline
<----Thanks Allie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,933
Default

I'd wait.

Vaccine expiration dates don't work like you're protected one day and then the next day you're not. If you titered him the day they expired, he'd very more than likely still show full immunity.

To me the only reason to get the one year would be because you need it to take him somewhere specific that requires it. And if you were put in the position that you needed to put in him a kennel as an emergency since this is not his FIRST shot, I don't see anyone having a problem it getting done and then putting him in. I'm horribly bad at getting vaccines updated the exact day they expire and I've never had an issue as long as it wasn't the first series of vaccinations.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,195
Default

I'd wait.

Although sometimes having a conversation with the vet can help. We do yearly vaccines where I work, but we have some savvy clients who let us know they don't want to do it annually, but they would do it every 3 years... and for them, we put it in as a 3 year vaccine. It's dumb that we don't just do that for everyone, but anyway.
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,935
Default

First, I would try telling the current clinic that you want to do the DHPP every 3 years. They may be flexible and willing to designate it as such in the record even if they don't normally do so.

If there is a high rate of parvo in your area, I'm guessing that is why they are reluctant to change to a 3 year schedule across the board. They're sort of danged if they do, danged if they don't. For one thing, if people are late or inconsistent with their dogs' visits and vaccination schedule then at least the dogs are getting some protection. Secondly, if the vaccine is labeled for one year and someone's vaccinated dog gets parvo 18 months later, legally speaking they are potentially liable. Nobody cares that no vaccines is 100% effective at that point.

Whatever you choose, I don't think it will make any difference in the long run for this one time. I'd be comfortable either way, I'd pick whatever was more convenient and less stressful for me at the time. With a parvo outbreak in my area, I'd probably err on the side of going ahead and giving it now.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
DJEtzel's Avatar
DJEtzel DJEtzel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 2,808
Default

I would wait or titer.
__________________

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site