Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Breed Name Slang

I have this hatred against the word "Heeler". They aren't a "heeler", they are an Australian Cattle Dog. I feel like it's a swear word. Lol. Also, if you misspell it, I will disown you as a human being.

I obviously understand where the term comes from, but it irks me. Also, when they use color: "Oh you have a blue heeler? I have a red heeler!". No. Just no. You have an Australian Cattle Dog who is blue/red. Pick one. And that purple heeler crap? Yeah, just stop.

Anybody else have nicknames for their breed that they hate?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

No, but also hate the word heeler!

I actually rather like that everyone knows what Siri is when I just say that she is a jack.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

No, not nicknames, but the color thing bothers me with labs. Why are they ALWAYS referred to by color? My roommate has two labs and someone asked her the other day what breed of dog she had, she said "they are labs", the person said "what kind?"...he wanted to know which color, like it's a whole different breed. I asked my dad what breed of dogs he liked, he said " German Shepherds and black labs". Just the black ones

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Silence, peasants.

I don't know why, but I hate the way it sounds when people just say 'border' instead of border collie. No big deal though, haha. And they are healers, and boarder collies...or bored. And I bread my dog. Oh, and she isn't spade or saved.

Also, I reserve the right to call Malinois mals because I don't trust myself to spell it correctly on a regular basis.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Also, I reserve the right to call Malinois mals because I don't trust myself to spell it correctly on a regular basis.
I don't trust myself to say it correctly on a regular basis, either.

I don't care for pibble. Otherwise I don't think there are any I don't like.

Alaskan huskies are usually just called Alaskans. That's the only slang that applies to any of mine unless you count made-up names like plottahoula.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 PM
orange iguanas.

Just don't call Lucy a bichpoo and we're good.

I don't mind cutesy names and whatnot. I say pitties and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Otherwise, in a real conversation lol I usually just use actual breed names.... online I might type Dobe or Dobie, but speaking I always say Doberman, for example.

I get confused about why people always, always, always specify the color of their labradors, but meh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I get confused about why people always, always, always specify the color of their labradors, but meh.
I wonder if it started with hunters? Some of them have very strong opinions about which colors are better/worse retrieving dogs.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm All Ears

I like the word heeler but that's just what they're called in Texas.

I just get annoyed by how many breed sites misspell papillon. At the last trial I was at there were probably 8 or so papillons running and they did not spell the breed correctly. Papillion. Yep. Even the agility trial cannot spell my breed.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

The word heeler to me is kind of like pitbull. Just sort of a generic name for a type of dog.

I also hate that Labradors are differentiated by color. "Mom was a Yellow Lab and Dad was a Black, so the puppies aren't papered." Um, wut? They're the same breed, people!

I wish more people knew what a Chessie was, so I didn't have to say Chesapeake Bay Retriever every single time someone asks me his breed.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Yeah, I think heeler is a southern thing... I grew up knowing them as heelers and it was only a few years ago I even heard ACD. LOL. I don't call them heelers anymore but my family sure does! So I hear it all the time. It doesn't bother me at all.

But yeah, the color thing did always make me wonder. Red/blue heeler.... Black/yellow/chocolate lab... But most other dogs are just called by their breed only. IDK.

What bothers me is when people call Corgis GORKis. WTF people?!?! It is clearly spelt CORG! And they'll spell it correctly but pronounce it wrong? Other breeds I can understand the mispronunciation... But this is a little extreme.