Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Squishy face

Default What is wrong with my dog???

Norris is being really weird tonight. He is drinking large amounts of water, and then of course two hours later I take him outside and he urinates copiously (no blood in the urine, just very watered down of course). I have a metal bowl that probably holds about two gallons of water, and he has drank almost the whole thing in about four hours. Basically, he drank a bunch, then went out to pee in two hours. Then as soon as he came back inside he drank a bunch more water. Then two hours later out to pee again, just now. And as soon as we got back to my room, he drank the rest of the bowl. He's never done this before tonight. He isn't acting uncomfortable in any way, he has eaten normally today. He has only been fed his kibble, no treats. He didn't eat any trash off the ground recently. He pooped normally on his walk about noon. I haven't noticed any lethargy. There hasn't been any vomiting.

I'm just really confused.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:25 PM
Got Floof?

It can be a sign of different issues (the one I'm familiar with is Acute/Chronic Renal Failure) but I wouldn't worry about a single day of doing this. If it persists, definitely see a vet.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Love my pets

I would first bring a sample of his urine to check for a uti. If not a uti, then maybe bloodwork is in order.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
I would first bring a sample of his urine to check for a uti. If not a uti, then maybe bloodwork is in order.
^ this, although it is uncommon for male dogs to have UTIs without an underlying cause.

That being said, if it was a one time thing and it doesn't continue...maybe he was just thirsty? How you described Norris is how Abrams spent most of his puppyhood. LOL BUT, if he keeps having increased drinking and urination, I'd get him seen.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 03-26-2014, 01:07 PM
orange iguanas.

I'd check for a UTI. That's exactly how Juno was when she had an infection a few weeks ago.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Twin 2.0

See if it persists; he may have just been exceptionally thirsty that day?

The top three things that pop into my mind are UTI, diabetes or possibly Cushings, though the last one is a pretty far stretch.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!