Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Default How long did it take before your first agility competition?

I'm just wondering what the average amount of time it's taken people to train a dog to be able to Q in Novice level. I realize different dogs will take different amounts of time just based on how they learn... but I really just want a very general idea.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Sport Model Pug

About a year of training. I started training foundations with Izzie when she was 2 in august of 2010 and then her first trial was august of 2011. She Q'd her first run, a starters jumpers run.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

We started with puppy foundations when Kimma was about 6 months old. We didn't start competing until she was 2 years 10 months old. In between there was an 8 month hiatus while we worked heavily on recall and moved from TX to PA, so we therefore didn't really do much actual agility/equipment training. She got in to the Masters level in both Jumpers and Standard within a year and 3 months on a very limited trialing schedule, so we've been pretty successful I'd say.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Big Dog

Marvel was in class for a little less than a year. He wasn't our first agility dog and he was already competing in flyball so I'm not sure if that helped.

He went 3 for 3 for his NAJ and 4 for 3 for his NA.

Pete was about a year but his Q rate was much lower - plus he got meningitis and kept relapsing. He probably Q'd 65% of the time?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Well not counting the training we did when Summer was young.... I started her in May and we competed in June the next year.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM
<----Thanks Allie

So it seems the overall average here is a year? That's what I was figuring, but wanted to make sure I was right.

Once you guys got the foundation of handling and the obstacles... Did you find the training got a lot easier/faster?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

Diesel went to his first after six one hour classes, and got 5 points in barrelers, in ECG, but NADAC has a bunch of ground level only stuff so he didn't have to know weaves or the wall or bridge. Which is also why I'm able to start Gage at age 7 and giant in some agility, he can do the ECG stuff and the new first level of agility.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

It was a long time. We started in January of 2009 and went to our first trial in December 2010 (so 2 years)...and it was a disaster. I have a dog who upstresses and is extremely reactive to fast moving dogs. We Q'd a run our first trial (somehow), and didn't Q again for 8 months.

I always joke that we could have Q'd any trial where Lucy was the only dog entered. The courses were cake at a novice level, she had no obstacle issues, and not to toot my own horn, but I was darn good at figuring out appropriate handling. The problem was we weren't the only dog, and we never were going to be! We went to bazillions of run throughs, but it just wasn't close enough to mimicking the atmosphere at a trial.

It took until the end of 2012 (so 3 years from when we started) to really get into a rhythm. We found a super small trial venue where she saw some success, and it built from there. Lucy has now been training for about 5 years, and we are consistently Q-ing about 80-90% of our runs, and the NQ's are my fault now, not because she's stressed out.

So...a long time!!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Frag was training for about 10 months before our first competition. He didn't Q though, because he's a bar dropper, and he didn't enjoy it enough to make me stick with it.

Recon started classes around 4 months old, and we bumped his jumps up to 20" at a year and started trialing at 14 mos, I believe? So that was about 10 months as well.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Frag was training for about 10 months before our first competition. He didn't Q though, because he's a bar dropper, and he didn't enjoy it enough to make me stick with it.

Recon started classes around 4 months old, and we bumped his jumps up to 20" at a year and started trialing at 14 mos, I believe? So that was about 10 months as well.
What org. allows dogs to trial that young? AKC is 15 months and USDAA i'm pretty sure is 18 months...

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug