Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Default Buying a trained herder...

Is it possible/prevelant enough to be easy?

I did a quick google search and found one site for cattle with little dogs listed, not much in the way of sheep. I plan on a small sheep farm in the not so super distant future, and I would like a herder. Since I'll be new to everything, I'd really rather get a trained dog to start and maybe train the next dog when I am more comfortable working sheep myself.

I will also have some mini cattle... And by some I mean like prob 2 max. So ideally the dog could work both, but the focused work will be the sheep.

I understand it will probably be fairly expensive to buy them fully trained vs puppy... But I think having a properly trained herder from the get-go would be worth the extra cash.

If I can, how and where does one go about finding said dog?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Sport Model Pug

I would recommend figuring out what breed you want and then starting to look at breeders who trial and train their dogs for herding and start speaking with them. Also try to see if you can get to stock dog trials and start talking to breeders/handlers/trainers etc.

You have the options of finding adult dogs who are trained, started young dogs, or puppies that you can get and pay someone to put stock dog training on.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

I see lots of ads here and there for started or finished herding dogs. Many breeders advertise that they do (particularly Border Collies and Aussies). Check the northeast stockdog assocation, local breed clubs. You can check http://www.ranchworldads.com/ ...a lot of BYB I'm sure, no health testing, but perhaps you can find something. They list McNabs, Hangin Tree, etc too if you if those types interest you.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Breed wise I think I would rather Aussie, ES, BC in that order. That being said, ideally I'd get an adult (or young adult) trained dog. Since the dog would be an grown enough to know their personality I would be more apt to buy for a fitting personality and working ability than I would breed. I'm not sure about buying a puppy to have trained at this stage. If that is the only course of action I would, but I'd really rather buy a fully trained dog.

I'm equating this to horses... You usually learn on a broke horse, when you know what you're doing you can move on to a "greener" horse with guidance still and then finally train your own.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM
<----Thanks Allie

:-P That's actually the site I saw. HaHa. It's pretty much all puppies or started only... Neither of which I really want.

So the best way would be to just start emailing working breeders/trainers I guess? That might make it a little harder... HaHa. I'd travel for/ship the right dog and I know there are a decent amount of working breeders without much Internet presence. /sigh.

At least it seems it is possible?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
:-P That's actually the site I saw. HaHa. It's pretty much all puppies or started only... Neither of which I really want.

So the best way would be to just start emailing working breeders/trainers I guess? That might make it a little harder... HaHa. I'd travel for/ship the right dog and I know there are a decent amount of working breeders without much Internet presence. /sigh.

At least it seems it is possible?
Start looking up some breeders you like and talking to them, they might be able to refer you.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

I'm not in the herding world, but I have to imagine a trained herder is going to be hard to come by without dropping a lot of cash, like 7 digit money. People that really herd, tend to keep their dogs to work on their farm. I don't think they tend to part with 2+ years of training unless there is a lot of money involved or the dog didn't make the cut. Even Green dogs for patrol or narcotics are 5-8K easily and those aren't fully trained by any means.