Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Default "Dog park People"

So i know this is gonna ruffle some feathers but i thought this was worth sharing...

*Note i do realize that not ALL dog parks are the same*
http://thesciencedog.wordpress.com/2...g-park-people/
Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Got Floof?

My issue with things like this, is that it is a loaded statement without correlating documentation of risk.

Dogs are always put in danger. If your dog is never in some danger, you probably aren't doing anything with the dog. I am not saying you shouldn't manage risks and minimize them. But taking dogs for walks might cause attacks by loose aggressive dogs, slipped leads to car accidents, and so on.

And there's dog sports with it's risk of injury. Are the odds of injury higher or equal relative to those things? I doubt anyone can say anything that is not anecdotal. I have been going to a dog park for a long time, and Kobe has been on a receiving end of a rather vicious attack.

But I have had more close calls while taking him to Petco than I ever had at a dog park, and I only take him to Petco once every couple months.

So yeah, sure, there's a risk of injury at a dog park. I have yet to see anything indicating it's a higher risk than anything else.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBark View Post
My issue with things like this, is that it is a loaded statement without correlating documentation of risk.

Dogs are always put in danger. If your dog is never in some danger, you probably aren't doing anything with the dog. I am not saying you shouldn't manage risks and minimize them. But taking dogs for walks might cause attacks by loose aggressive dogs, slipped leads to car accidents, and so on.

And there's dog sports with it's risk of injury. Are the odds of injury higher or equal relative to those things? I doubt anyone can say anything that is not anecdotal. I have been going to a dog park for a long time, and Kobe has been on a receiving end of a rather vicious attack.

But I have had more close calls while taking him to Petco than I ever had at a dog park, and I only take him to Petco once every couple months.

So yeah, sure, there's a risk of injury at a dog park. I have yet to see anything indicating it's a higher risk than anything else.
Exactly.
Nobody is saying that dog parks aren't risky... but taking your dog OUTSIDE is risky
taking your dog off leash is risky
dog sports are risky
herding is risky
swimming is risky

It's about cost vs reward. I consider the fun Merlin has at the park WORTH the risk of him getting hurt.
And we go about 3-4 times a week and have YET to have an issue in a year and a half.

Some dogs are good dog park candidates, some aren't. Fights happen... but to say that the MAJORITY of dogs that attend are stressed or attacked or whatever is ridiculous. Lots of dogs REALLY enjoy them and lots of owners are responsible.

People who don't go to dog parks also seem to have the odd idea that dog parks are ALWAYS FULL and ALWAYS FULL OF STRANGE NEW DOGS. Wrong. ever wonder what all those people are doing huddled together? Chances are, they know eachother and their dogs know eachother.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Puppy Dog

I just find the whole "essay" biased. Like, yes, of course there are reports of "lots" of bad things happening at dog parks... because comments about "normal" (i.e. responsible or proper) behavior are almost never made in general. You wouldn't applaud someone for putting their own trash in the bin, but you (generally) very well might say something to them if they toss it on the ground instead.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

It's honestly about how I feel, with my experiences with our local dog parks. I am well aware that parks vary a LOT. I've seen everything from the "just let the dogs work it out!" attitude, to people trying to correct dogs they don't own for behavior that they consider an issue.

The people tend to form horrid cliques (no, I don't miss junior high, thanks) and some are flat out mean to new people.

Thank heavens I live here, where I have about a dozen other very easy options for exercising my dogs. I understand the need for people in more urban areas to find some way to let their dogs off leash.

I made Meg go to the dog park a fair amount when she was younger (which blows my mind now). Gusto has never been, and probably never will, despite his stellar dog skills. It's just as easy to hook up with friends for hiking or to let the dogs play in an open field.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

I think the blog is a bit ridiculous, to be honest. As others have said, anywhere can be dangerous.

There are playgrounds for children. Do you avoid a playground because your child got a scraped knee?

I've been to dog parks where there were some ignorant people. They either didn't know proper dog (park) etiquette or could care less. I think if you just pay attention to your dog(s) and the dogs around you, you shouldn't have many issues. The people are usually more of a problem. The dog park I went to was fairly cliquish but I liked it. People informed newcomers about the rules and the regulars. They weren't rude about it, but if a dog was getting out of hand, they would offer help.

Dog parks are the ONLY socialization some dogs will ever receive. No, dog parks are not the best place ever or 100% safe but I don't feel like the alternative is something that should be promoted.

Plus I'm lazy. Having a dog does not make me an athlete. I don't want to hike 5 miles so I can wear Gwen out. I don't like the outdoors. Walking is not enjoyable for me. And I'm not setting up play dates with dogs so she can be social.

A dog park helps me out a lot. I understand they're not for everyone but I think it's pretty crappy as a trainer to tell clients dog parks are off-limits.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 02-16-2014, 02:28 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
It's honestly about how I feel, with my experiences with our local dog parks. I am well aware that parks vary a LOT. I've seen everything from the "just let the dogs work it out!" attitude, to people trying to correct dogs they don't own for behavior that they consider an issue.

The people tend to form horrid cliques (no, I don't miss junior high, thanks) and some are flat out mean to new people.

Thank heavens I live here, where I have about a dozen other very easy options for exercising my dogs. I understand the need for people in more urban areas to find some way to let their dogs off leash.

I made Meg go to the dog park a fair amount when she was younger (which blows my mind now). Gusto has never been, and probably never will, despite his stellar dog skills. It's just as easy to hook up with friends for hiking or to let the dogs play in an open field.
I used to go when Izze was young, but then she wouldn't stand for mounting or mobbing behavior. then I moved out into the country and I have 70 acres, so I don't need DP's anymore
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

I found the bit a out avoidance interesting. I suppose I am supposed to be extremely vocal about a Doug's poor behaviour. But in my experience that doesn't actually result in the owner bringing the dog less, just makes them hostile. So yes, I use avoidance. I know what dogs (or owners) are a problem and if I see them I immediately leash my dogs and leave.

All of the attacks that have happened on my dogs have happened at work at the teeth of my boss' dogs (Summit was attacked by one that has since passed, Kili was attacked by the other one as a pup, and then just the other day their two "new" dogs went after her and I had to use the voice of God on them to make them back off).

It is prudent to use caution at the dog park. But it's worked out pretty well for us. It's honestly more relaxing for me to go for a hike with my dogs though. Policing at the dog park is exhausting.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 02-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Top Dog

Maybe it's because our dog park is smaller, or because of the shift work (few people here work 9-5, they usually work 12 hour shifts, 7 days, 7 nights and 2 weeks off) so the dog park isn't ever really busy, except Sundays, but I see few squabbles, and in 5 years have only seen one actual fight, neither dog ended up needing a vet visit though. When things happen the owners tend to react quickly, and not by yelling. There of course is the random doorknob who doesn't see their dog as a problem, even when it fixates on another dog, if that happens to be my dog we leave. The park isnt really big enough to move elsewhere. It has a separate part for small dogs as well.

People avoiding pick up their dog crap is a big problem, especially in the winter, spring is absolutely gross, once the snow starts to melt a few people get together and do mass clean ups, many of us will pick up an extra pile when cleaning up after our own dogs as well. And most of us will happily tell someone where their dogs pile is as well.

As for what most of this blog said it's a one sided piece and the line at the end about walking your dog only with your friends dog is utter drivel. Maybe on huge city streets you have little chance of encountering an unleashed dog, but I have never ever taken a walk where I haven't encountered an unleashed dog, many of which have attempted to attack mine, twice Diesel would have been dead if Gage hadn't been there. These were not dogs that ran at us from down the street, giving me time to get him out if harms way, these were dogs that came from behind objects just as we walked by, here my dogs have less of a chance of getting attacked at the dogs park with my own "research".
Old 02-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Twin 2.0

I go. A lot. I avoid the tiny parks at peak times or weekends because that is asking for trouble, but on the other hand I am currently siting outside drinking beers at a dog bar. A whole bunch of strange dogs getting a lot quite well and all the owners are relaxed and chill. So far the only "issue" is few people cleaning up after their dog so I'm doing it because daycare instincts. And I appear to have been stood up so I have nothing better to do.