Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Is your dog typey?
No 7 14.58%
Yes 24 50.00%
Maybe 13 27.08%
Other 2 4.17%
grilled cheese & tomato soup 10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Top Dog

Default Is your dog typey?

I guess this is only purebred specific (unless you have a breed standard written for your mix, which would be absolutely fabulous) but is your dog easily identifiable as a member of it's breed? Are there certain qualities you think of that make up a breed? I'm not talking "this is a show dog, so yes" or "this is a field dog, so no."

More like... ESS typically have rounded/triangular shaped ears (although in a show groom, you'd never know). Buzz has big, thick, round Welsh Springer ears. Or ESS are usually in the 40-50 pound range, but Bailey frequently hangs out below 40#.

ETA: the other significant factor in Bailey being under 40# is that she's taller than most other bitches (at the top of the height standard at 19.75"). Most 40# bitches are around 17-18" generally speaking.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years

Last edited by SpringerLover; 02-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm All Ears

Looks wise, I think so. I mean... Summer flunked out of the show ring but I've had show handlers tell me if I fixed her coat and straightened it she'd be finishable.

Mia is also show-bred and looks-wise definitely looks it. Mia is typier looking than Summer in my opinion.

They both look like papillons vs chihuahuas, poms, etc. Both are within standard for size (7.5-8 lbs). So I'd say yes.

They have very contrasting temperaments but neither is abnormal per say. Summer is more correct temperamentally for the breed.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

Haha, I definitely thought of your two when I created this. There is nothing else I'd think of them as! Even if they look different from each other.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 AM
The Monster.

I don't think so. She's recognizable as an Aussie, but beyond that her face is snipey and she's generally more lithe and much finer boned than most.

Thoughts?

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I don't think so. She's recognizable as an Aussie, but beyond that her face is snipey and she's generally more lithe and much finer boned than most.

Thoughts?

I wish more aussies looked like her.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I agree.

And I think she's pretty typey, but I don't know much about Aussies. Certainly more so than the ones who look like BCs without a tail. She is clearly all Aussie.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Quote:
Cohen's structure is one of many reasons why she is my favourite Aussie.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

oooh, I love this thread and topic! I've often thought about this in regards to Trent, because I do get non-GSD people telling me that they like his look for a GSD, but also GSD people (show and confo) telling me that they like his build, too. So he does seem to be that middle-of-the-road German Shepherd Dog and would be (in my opinion, and if I were to draw conclusions from others' comments), pretty much true to type.

Quote:
Same. Cohen's always been one of my favorite Aussies, hands down.

Quote:

DSC_0308 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr
Oh geez. One of each, please? <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post

I honestly can't tell. She just looks like Elsie to me.
Yeah, well, that's the best kind. I personally think she looks true to her breed but I don't really know the breed well so if she doesn't, the rest of the breed needs to aspire more to be like her
Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm All Ears

I think Nard is the best of all 5 looks-wise as far as breed goes. Despite being a shrimp and the smallest of the five.

DSC_1625 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

He got fabulous ears.

DSC_0193 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

I can't find a groomed photo but his coat type is fantastic too. Not as thick as Mia's or Beaus and straight naturally.

DSC_0251 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

I think Beau is the least typey which is amusing since he's the only champion. though as a younger dog, he was gorgeous.

DSC_0308 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

chazsignew by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

Buzz totally has Welshie ears - I love them!

Watson is pretty typey. He has a very nice head for the breed and it's not thick and chubby or snipey. It has the right planes between the muzzle and top of head. His only problem is that his eyes are too round, which is typical of his lines. His head is distinctly Welsh and wouldn't be mistaken for a different spaniel.

He's a little tall, as most males are 17-19" and he's about 20", but that's not a hard and fast rule in the breed (and I've seen other males at least as tall as him)

His coat is great. Not too much of it, and naturally straight and flat.

He's definitely more elegant than many. Most Welsh are sort of round looking, and he is still very thin with a long elegant neck. It's funny because his breeder totally didn't see that coming and she's been in the breed a long time. It's good and bad I think - I wish he had more substance and was more spaniel-y (it might come more with age - he has been slooow to fill out), but then I see some dogs who take that to the extreme and look short and stocky with no neck and I wouldn't want that either.

Temperamentally he's pretty good. The standard says they can be reserved with strangers, which he's not generally, but I've heard that was added to the American standard only because there were so many timid dogs here. The British standard just says "kindly temperament" and nothing about being reserved. Spaniels should be friendly and merry as a general rule, and he absolutely fits that.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12