Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Twin 2

Default Trick of the Week: Rebound!

Ok, so all you big dog people don't start panicking yet, you don't have to do it off your own body And I figured since our last trick was completely passive this week should be something a little more fun and fast!

So the TotW this week is 'Rebound' which can be done as a rebound off your body (front, back, hip, foot etc.) OR off of an object such as a wall or tree. Big dogs AND small dogs can do this so no excuses!

It's a trick that is done in small steps but fun to teach. Here's a video of the steps that I personally used to teach it for off my body

And here is a video I found on youtube to show steps towards teaching it off of a wall. Keep in mind this is just the general idea, you guys are smart enough to know your dogs and how to adjust it to fit you and them better!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri just learned this last week (off of me), but I am totally going to teach her how to do it off of a wall.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

I would love to do this! Kili has a thing about jumping so maybe this will help. She's good at jumping in agility, but as seen with perch... Jumping onto or at other things is a weird concept for her apparently. We'll see how this goes!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Twin 2

Yay! I hope everyone joins in this week, it's a fun one! Don't be discouraged by the steps involved either.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:39 PM
The Monster.

This one is a fun one! This is definitely one of Cohen's favourite tricks. She'll offer it (sometimes unasked for) in just about any situation. Trees, walls, poles and me are all viable targets. We taught it via her box turn in flyball. I eventually moved it to a wall, then a pole/tree and the finally myself.

We've been working on a foot rebound for a while now and are currently trying to get it a bit tighter and with a bit more oomph behind it. I'll take a new video and post it soon, I hope.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Vizsla mom

I am so excited to teach this. Penn already jumps up in my arms ..hopefully we can figure out the rest (because what fun with a 50lb dog!)
Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Twin 2

Love it Sekah! Rebound is seriously one of my favorite tricks ever. I use it all the time to reset and get Didgie's attention back to me.

And your foot rebound is great! That's what I'm going to be working on this week, I've wanted it for ages but kept putting it off.

Just had my first session. I'm using a smaller board (that is actually Traveler's emery board for his nails so it has sandpaper for grip on it) and I had Didgie do it off of the board a few times while holding it to my body and then put it on my foot on the back of it and held it out (while sitting) and she was very willing to do it off of it.

Hopefully we'll keep at it so her foot placement is right and move to a smaller surface and see how that goes.

I have to find a different board or object for Traveler though, he can't comprehend doing anything with his emery board other than melting and having a manicure done.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

[sigh] I do not think I can do this trick until summer. I have no carpeting in my house. And most rooms in our house are small too. I'm going to have to do this outside on grass to give her any kind of traction. Poo.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
[sigh] I do not think I can do this trick until summer. I have no carpeting in my house. And most rooms in our house are small too. I'm going to have to do this outside on grass to give her any kind of traction. Poo.
Are you planning on doing it against you or a wall?

And whenever I'm training where the floor is wood or slippery I use bathmats, at one time I had like five bathmats spread around my room to give traction while teaching a trick Just an idea!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Are you planning on doing it against you or a wall?

And whenever I'm training where the floor is wood or slippery I use bathmats, at one time I had like five bathmats spread around my room to give traction while teaching a trick Just an idea!
I think I have to start with a wall so that it is solid and she gets comfortable. Then I will try to transfer it to my body.

I've got bath mats, but remember my dogs are a lot bigger than yours. Lol. I do not have enough mats to give us a decent working area. I remember looking at some kiddie flooring a few months ago, and I might get that. It's like multicoloured foamy puzzle pieces that you stick together. I might pick some up tomorrow and see if that works. But I'd still have to clear furniture to give me enough wall space to do this. So there's that inconvenience as well.