Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Joint supplements

I'm interested in starting Cynder on a joint supplement. I think having to sit up to eat is starting to become a tad uncomfortable for her, although otherwise she's getting around just fine. Maybe a little stiff jumping up onto the couch at times. There are just so many supplements out there that I wasn't sure what would be the best bang for my buck.

Glycoflex, Devcor, Dasequin, Prudence...any one that is more effective than the other? Any benefit to a made-for-dogs joint supplement versus generic glucosamine/chondrotin from the store? I have some Prudence samples that I'm starting her on now, but I know it takes a few weeks to really see an effect and I only have enough for two weeks.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Big Dog

I can't comment on whether the ones you mentioned are better or not, but I've been giving Angel Cosequin DS and fish oil for 5 months and I've seen a large improvement in her. I'm very happy with it. It comes in these supposedly beef flavored chew pills somewhat like her heartworm pills, but she refuses to eat them plain so I have to crush them up in wet food. Other friends have had their dogs take the Cosequin DS tabs like they are treats.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Studies have shown that dogs are better able to absorb and use low molecular weight chondroitin better than high molecular weight.

I use dasuquin because of that, and because I've tried others with much less success.

Bailey gets it with the MSM, Buzz and Gabby do not.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I was thinking about making this a new thread, but decided I'd just tack it on here. If it doesn't get any responses, I'll repost.

Has anyone ever used the Show Stopper? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I remember hearing something about it once and thought it was good...but that was awhile ago. Because although I'd like to get Cynder on a joint supplement, I also want to get both she and Abrams on a supplement for their coats. I was thinking fish oil, but then remembered the Show Stopper formula, and it looks as if it has some things in it for joints as well? Just seems like an all around good supplement? And for the price I'd be spending for multiple supplements for both dogs, it may be worth it? Especially since I'm not really concerned about any major issues, I just want to do something helpful.

Cynder has allergy issues and gets itchy/dandruffy during the summer months, and I just feel like Abrams coat should be fuller and shinier than what it is. (Probably because I'm weird. I thought Cynder's coat looked god-awful the other day, and then I had someone comment me on how shiny, pretty, and soft she was, soooo...)

ETA: And/or any other good "all around" supplements that would be worth looking in to?

Last edited by *blackrose; 01-04-2014 at 09:41 PM.