Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Club Terrible - President

Default 2014 Official Chaz Fitness Challenge

So weird to think that it's 2014 already!

I'm starting off with a half-year goal, I'd like to be under 200lbs by my birthday (July 7th). That's 33lbs, which is just over 4.5lbs per month. I think it's doable.

I'd like to do a 5k some time this year, but we'll see if I can swing one with work. I'd at least like to be able to run it, whether it's an actual race or not.

Anyone else have fitness or weight loss goals this year?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

Well... My goal last fall was to run 5K. Kili and I managed that within about 2 months. I am in good shape but I am not a distance runner. I think 10K is very ambitious for me and I have no real need to do it. I don't want to call it a goal exactly... but I'll try to work my way up towards it if Kili will stay with me that long.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm All Ears

One of my friends just lost 85 lbs and that's motivating me a lot!

My scale broke a month or so ago so I have no idea where I'm at now. I don't feel like I've gained or lost anything.

My goal is 40 lbs this year. I'm not sure where we will go from there but I think 40 is doable. I just need to make sure to take my metformin every day.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

My scale broke a month or so ago so I have no idea where I'm at now. I don't feel like I've gained or lost anything.

My goal is 40 lbs this year. I'm not sure where we will go from there but I think 40 is doable. I just need to make sure to take my metformin every day.
I will also make a goal of 40 with you laurelin. March 2014 will mark 3 years since i quit smoking and i've packed on 40 lbs to date. If I make the 40, I'll set a new goal but for now that sounds good.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I will also make a goal of 40 with you laurelin. March 2014 will mark 3 years since i quit smoking and i've packed on 40 lbs to date. If I make the 40, I'll set a new goal but for now that sounds good.
Awesome! We can be weight loss buddies. .

I guess my first step is to get a scale that works so I know how much I weigh.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

I would like to run a 10k this year. I toyed around with the idea last summer but then kind of stopped running, but I intend to start up again once it's not so cold out (I hate running in the cold, it hurts my lungs, and I don't have a treadmill).

I wouldn't mind just generally building muscle and losing fat, maybe dropping a couple of pounds. But mostly getting in better shape!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

Update: So far just 5 lbs lost (though it does look like 5 lbs lost vs just change in the day).

So slooooow going though. So I ramped it up today and starting workout tomorrow (need to shave lmao). I had been doing 2 meals a day low carb and we're trying to go for 3....

I'm really hungry though right about now in the day. It's miserable and it happens every time I try low carb.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

See I really know nothing about nutrients. Anyone have good tips or links?

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
See I really know nothing about nutrients. Anyone have good tips or links?
I like the article about it on Nerd Fitness - seems long, but it's easy to read.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011...ealthy-eating/

The biggest thing I did was to simplify. Everything starts from scratch, and I learned to cook and take a little time to prepare my meals. Meats, vegetables, carbs - when I'm in the grocery store, 80% of my groceries come from the fresh fruit/veggie section and the butcher. Cooking from scratch is easier than it seems - it doesn't have to be complicated and you can make enough for leftovers!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I just need to make sure to take my metformin every day
Same here...if I take my metformin and my adderall I don't even feel like eating, and when I do eat it's about half or less of what I'd usually eat unmedicated. But when I stop or forget, it's right back to how it used to be. Plus they both seem to make me lose weight regardless of food or exercise, so eating healthy and exercising on top of it only makes it go faster.

Usually I can put back a 12" sub and want more, but last night I could barely make myself eat half. Plus I generally feel better and am more apt to exercise when I take my meds like I'm supposed to.

Laur, do you take it once a day or twice a day? I fail miserable at taking it when I'm supposed to do it twice a day, but if I take the extended release once a day, I can take it when I get up and forget about it the rest of the day. Both my meds are once a day and extended release, and that's really the only way I can take them regularly. At this moment my metformin is 2 500mg ER tablets once in the morning, but now that I have insurance again I'm going to go back to one 1000mg tablet (60 of the 500mg ER tabs are $4 without insurance, but 30 of the 1000mg ER tablets are almost $200 ). I also have less GI upset when I take it once a day, or at least I can plan for when it'll hit.