Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Default Veterinary behaviorist Q

There is not a single one in Colorado. There's not even one in the surrounding states. Is there a way I can consult with one without them actually seeing my dogs?

I'm considering medication for Mu. I'm torn because if she didn't live with Tipper I would have no reason for meds. But I'm getting to the point where I need to explore other options because I'm not confident in our safety measures and I'm really concerned about escalating fights. I'd really like to hear other people's stories about medication and especially dog aggression/reactivity (or inter-pack fighting) and how it responded to meds.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Behavior Nerd

I know there are vet behavior folks who do phone or fax consultations, so that could very well be an option. I think one of the most well known is PetFax: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/

I don't know anything about how inter-household aggression responds to meds, though.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

I'm not sure how meds will put an end to dog aggression or fighting within a pack.

For me, crating and rotating has always been my simple method of ensuring the safety of everyone.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I know there are vet behavior folks who do phone or fax consultations, so that could very well be an option. I think one of the most well known is PetFax: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/

I don't know anything about how inter-household aggression responds to meds, though.
Thanks Erin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I'm not sure how meds will put an end to dog aggression or fighting within a pack.

For me, crating and rotating has always been my simple method of ensuring the safety of everyone.
Nearly every dog fight we've had has been started by Mu. She gets stressed out and takes it out on Tipper. IF I decide to medicate, I'd want something to help her calm down so that we could work on counter conditioning. The end goal would be to phase out the medication.

That's great and I'm glad it works for you. I don't feel that my dogs do well in a purely crate and rotate situation. I don't think that they get enough out of crate time (especially during the winter) as my husband and I both work full time. We have our house set up so that they can both be loose and we *thought* they couldn't get to each other. Over the weekend that proved untrue. Trust me, medication is a last resort for me. I don't know if it will fix anything, I don't know if it's a viable option, that's why I'm looking into it and asking questions.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:44 AM
such sights to show you

I don't have time to fully respond now, but I'm posting so I remember to come back later. When Squash and Pip had a big blowout, it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me to put him on clomipramine. It has helped tremendously along with a lot of behavioral modification and gate/rotate.

Ask your veterinarian if they have any references. The veterinary "behaviorist" (she does not refer to herself that way, but that she has a special interest in behavior) I like best in my area actually is not board certified, so she wouldn't show up on an "official" search but I refer to her regularly.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I don't have time to fully respond now, but I'm posting so I remember to come back later. When Squash and Pip had a big blowout, it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me to put him on clomipramine. It has helped tremendously along with a lot of behavioral modification and gate/rotate.

Ask your veterinarian if they have any references. The veterinary "behaviorist" (she does not refer to herself that way, but that she has a special interest in behavior) I like best in my area actually is not board certified, so she wouldn't show up on an "official" search but I refer to her regularly.
I would be happy if we could just have them in a gate rotate situation (like we have for the last 10 months or so). I don't need them to love each other, I just want them stop trying to do damage. I'll look into clomipramine and I'll definitely call my vet later, thank you! I'd love to hear what kind of behavioral modification you used (when you have time).