Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Can't take the pee anymore!

Abrams is about ready to drive me NUTS.

Every single time I let him out to pee, if he has even the hint of a full bladder, he will whizz all over my carpet. Every. Single. Time. I am about ready to either kill myself or the dog. He'll come and tell me he has to go outside. Okay. So I walk to the door to let him out...and he starts peeing. ON THE CARPET. If he has to wait even a split second to go out of the door, he will just pee EVERYWHERE. Even if I manage to get him out the door without him peeing all over the place, he'll start to pee as he's walking through the doorway and pee ON MY FOOT. Or the cement. Or the welcome mat. Doesn't matter.

What in the heck is his problem? He's done this from almost day one, and I thought it would get better as his bladder control got better. No. He is six months old and he is STILL doing this. He doesn't have accidents in the house otherwise, and has no issues whatsoever holding it in the crate while I'm gone.

The only way I can manage to get him to NOT pee all over the place is if I let him bolt through the door. Which I can't always do, as my yard isn't fenced, and he can't always be loose outside due to neighbors/loose cats/stupid rabbits/etc. If I take the time to put a slip lead over his head (which takes 0.5 seconds) he will pee on the carpet. If I make him sit or down while I open up the door to grab the chain to attach to him to let him out, he'll pee while he is sitting or downing.

I can NOT keep doing this. He is ruining the carpet. I'm having to shampoo my carpets every few days just to keep it from reeking of dog **** in my apartment.

What can I do to make him stop? What am I doing wrong? Why does he think that this is acceptable? I think a part of it is a submissive/excited urination issue, but he CANNOT keep doing it. My choices now are either let the stupid dog out to pee every 20 minutes, or clean my carpets five times a day. Neither are acceptable.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM
dogstrong

Water him and let him out on a schedule, rather than free-watering him?

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

Will he pee with a belly band on? You could take it off once he's leashed and outside
Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

My first thought was belly band!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM
such sights to show you

I think he probably just needs more time to mature, but in the meantime I think the belly band is a good idea.

Squash would pee on the way to outside too. I would say up until he was about 9-10 months old, but not as consistently as you're describing. It was more like, he was busy doing something then jumped up and made a beeline for the back door peeing all along the way or just lose it right in front of the door. Argh.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Kung Pow Fish

move his kennel so its right by the door so theres literally 18" between entrances?
To change the world
To reach the farthest star
If we should stay silent
If fear should win our hearts
Our light will have long diminished
Before it reaches the farthest star"

-Ronan Harris, NVN Nation
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I think he probably just needs more time to mature, but in the meantime I think the belly band is a good idea.

Squash would pee on the way to outside too. I would say up until he was about 9-10 months old, but not as consistently as you're describing. It was more like, he was busy doing something then jumped up and made a beeline for the back door peeing all along the way or just lose it right in front of the door. Argh.
This gives me hope.

When he has a semi-full bladder, he just acts like he has no bladder control what so ever. Any kind of excitement (be it playing with a toy, getting ready to go outside, seeing a person, etc., etc.) equals PEE EVERYWHERE when his bladder isn't completely empty.

I will have to get a belly band. Because this is really driving me nuts.

It isn't possible to move his crate. And he honestly has lost the habit of guzzling water and then peeing 50x afterwards, so I don't think rationing his water will help. He's doing GREAT on housetraining and doesn't actively have accidents...he just urinates in the process of going outside because he is a dumb boy.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Obey the Toad.

We've had good results with this for the carpets: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...er-messes.aspx

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

Can you distract him with a toy or some food? Like, keep some really good treats nearby and when he wants to go out, start waving it around, keep his attention, make the slip loop really large, lure his head through it, wave the treat with one hand, open the door with the other etc