Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Wookie Collie

Default Triops! (Pics within!)

Okay, so the sea monkeys my friend got me as a gag gift a few weeks back? Total bust. No hatching eggs despite following everything to a tee. Sigh.

I was actually sort of disappointed. I was looking forward to a silly little aquatic desktop pet. Then another friend reminded me that Triops exist, and are WAY cooler. For one thing, the company doesn't market them as something they're not... They grow bigger, look cooler, require the same amount of care, a starter kit without the aquarium and other stuff cost about 4 bucks, and you can get the rest for el cheapo. Oh, and they live a month or two max, so no huge commitment.

So, I did, and early last week I got the eggs going in a hatching dish. And then they hatched! Six hatched initially that I could spot, and four survived. Today was day ten, so I moved them to their adult tank.

Photos! All from today, because they're finally large enough to take photos without a macro lens. The largest is about a half inch long. They grow to be between 1-3 inches.

Now that these four have survived a week and a bit, I feel comfortable giving them names. I named them Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Runt. Here's Bacon, it's the biggest one.

Lettuce and Tomato are currently interchangeable as I cannot tell them apart. So I call them collectively "L/T". Here's L/T and teeny little Runt on the far left. Runt was born after the rest and gets bullied out of a lot of the food, so it's wee. He may be eaten by the others if he doesn't grow soon. They're cannibalistic little beasts.

Not sure which one this is, but it really wants that air bubble. They love bubbles.

Bacon right side up, L/T upside down (see the size diff?) and wee Runt below them.

Those were all taken this morning before feeding time. This evening, their big tank was finally ready so I moved them in! Here's the tank. A critter keeper, some deco, sand, heater, air stone and a desk lamp on a timer for lighting. Cheap-o. BLT are all in this photo, can you spot them?

Their undersides are like a scene from Alien... or District 9.

L/T on the t-rex skull. They love having an ornament to skim around on.

Bacon scooting along, kicking up rocks in its wake. They LOVE skimming and digging in the sand, likely an instinctual behaviour for when they become sexually mature.

Runt, with L/T in the background for scale. Runt wasn't doing so well when I was prepping the hatching tank for transfer. Swimming in a disoriented fashion and unable to beat the bigger ones for food. As soon as it migrated, however, it shed his exoskeleton and emerged with vigor! The elders seem to be ignoring it for now, so it may not be cannibalized... yet. I dunno about you guys, but I'm rooting for little Runt.

That's all for now. I'll try and keep this thread updated. They're neat little beasts, I highly recommend them for a nearly-no-maintenance funpet.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Resident fainting goat

awww they are pretty cute! Sucks about the sea monkeys but these guys look much more fun

sucks they only live 1-2 months I like them!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Bored Now.

SO CUTE. Are they a type of shrimp?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
SO CUTE. Are they a type of shrimp?
Yep. Their scientific name for the species sold as science pets is triops longicaudatus, but they're known widely as tadpole shrimp or shield shrimp.

Science! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notostraca

RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

Awesome! I had one successful adult when I had them, only 2 hatchlings. If you're lucky, they'll lay eggs, and when they die you dry out the sand and hatch new ones the same way you hatched the originals, and just keep going!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Show Dog

Those are really cool looking! Are they hard to take care of?

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I totally want some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
NEAT! I had some of these when I was a kid but don't remember if it went well or not.

I kind of want some now, **** it.

Loving this thread, please keep posting pictures. I can't decide if I think they're cute or creepy but I love seeing them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I want triops. I'm seriously tempted to go buy some now.
All of you need to buy some and share my nerdiness. I even got the BF all interested in them. He thought they were a silly idea at first.

I will say that the triops forum helped me a LOT with getting started. I didn't join it or anything because it's defunct and overridden with spam for kitchens (?) but there's still a wealth of info there if you poke around and use the search feature when needed. Here's a few notable threads you guys can look at.

http://thetriopsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=410

http://thetriopsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=52

http://thetriopsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=872

This site's also great, though not completed: http://mytriops.com/

Today's photos!

News of the day: Now that the egg sacs are visible to the naked eye and I've monitored for a few days, I've confirmed it: Bacon is male! All the laying behaviour I saw was simply instinctual. No egg sac = male. Proof! (You can also see his poor straight battered tail.)

Runt's been digging a lot of egg holes tonight. Deep holes. So deep that its carapace pops up, it's cute.

Bacon tried to help a little. Incredible that Bacon and Runt are essentially the same size now.

Pickle's loaded with eggs again tonight, too. Can't wait to harvest the eggs when all is said and done!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Wookie Collie

More sad news: Pickle has been spending the morning slowly dying. It's just sort of on its back, wiggling its legs every so often.

It's oddly tough to watch. It's not like can really do much for it. I may just flush it with the next water change and put it out of its misery.

Poor thing. Runt and Bacon are doing well though.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Chihuahua Power!

The triops are so cool! I doubt I'll ever get any of my own, so it's really interesting to follow this thread. I'm excited to see how harvesting the eggs goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
More sad news: Pickle has been spending the morning slowly dying. It's just sort of on its back, wiggling its legs every so often.

It's oddly tough to watch. It's not like can really do much for it. I may just flush it with the next water change and put it out of its misery.

Poor thing. Runt and Bacon are doing well though.
That's so sad Poor Pickle.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Resident fainting goat

Dammit Allie why am I sad how dare you allow me to get attached to tiny little sea creatures with such short lifespans!!!