Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:12 PM
skittledoo's Avatar
skittledoo skittledoo is offline
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,414
Default Lymes Disease ring?

I just noticed this on Cricket





Does this look like possibly a ring from a tick bite/possible lymes?

Also how long should I wait to get her in to see a vet? Basically wondering how long until she would show up positive so I can get her treated if it is lymes? I'm being a really worried dog owner right now.
__________________
Joey- Ibizan Hound
Cricket- Mexican Street dog (we think Xolo mix)
Bamm- BC mix
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM
sojello's Avatar
sojello sojello is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Default

What about ringworm?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojello View Post
What about ringworm?
This. Looks like ringworm to me. Regardless, I'm not sure why you'd want to wait if you think it's Lyme.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
skittledoo's Avatar
skittledoo skittledoo is offline
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
This. Looks like ringworm to me. Regardless, I'm not sure why you'd want to wait if you think it's Lyme.
I don't know much about lyme and wasn't sure how long it takes to show up positive? Don't know that they would treat for lyme unless it did show up positive? I dunno.

Regardless I made an appointment for her this evening to get it checked out.
__________________
Joey- Ibizan Hound
Cricket- Mexican Street dog (we think Xolo mix)
Bamm- BC mix
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I don't know much about lyme and wasn't sure how long it takes to show up positive? Don't know that they would treat for lyme unless it did show up positive? I dunno.

Regardless I made an appointment for her this evening to get it checked out.
Apparently, I missed the "until" and read it as "how long will she show up as positive?"
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,564
Default

Vet time. Make sure, and don't wait until your dog is symptomatic. It needs to be treated if it is ringworm. My lyme bite was the size of a pie plate, clear in the center but bright red and dark purple with red lines running through it but I got bit apparently by Overloaded tick. I will never see them as anything but tiny injectors of disease. I have seen many photos of bites, and they all look a bit different. Some are mild red rings, and some are like mine. That doesnt' look quite right in the center but I sure wouldn't want to chance it.
__________________

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary


Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM
ACooper's Avatar
ACooper ACooper is offline
<--------Orson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: IN
Posts: 27,635
Default

IDK....could go either way IMO. Ring worm, or at least the ring worm I've witnessed in person, doesn't have the darker red around the outside and center...(like a bulls eye)..just one red ring and that's all.

I'd want to take her in as soon as you can. If you truly don't have the money, try some athlete's foot cream for a few days and see if there's improvement. (takes about a month to get rid of if it's ring worm!)

Also, if it IS ring worm it's pretty contagious....you can get it and so can the other dogs or cats! (you probably already know all this, but in case you don't and for other readers)

Wash all bedding, check everyone else, try to pin point where it might have come from otherwise you'll just keep getting new spots and passing it around!
(been there done that after a trip to arkansas and a stray infected kitty!)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
skittledoo's Avatar
skittledoo skittledoo is offline
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,414
Default

Money is kind of tight since my car broke the other day and I possibly have to have the transmission rebuilt/replaced, but I have a plan with my vet where I pay a monthly amount and it covers a lot of basic stuff/vaccines, etc. More than likely I may have to pay for any medicines/treatments, but her exam wont cost a dime which will help a lot. Her appointment is at 7 tonight to get checked out.
__________________
Joey- Ibizan Hound
Cricket- Mexican Street dog (we think Xolo mix)
Bamm- BC mix
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
ACooper's Avatar
ACooper ACooper is offline
<--------Orson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: IN
Posts: 27,635
Default

Oh good.

IIRC, Phoebe was prescribed a 30 day supply of pills and I don't think they were all that expensive.

The kids were treated with antifungal (athletes foot cream) and I do believe they cost more to get over it than the dog, LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
IDK....could go either way IMO. Ring worm, or at least the ring worm I've witnessed in person, doesn't have the darker red around the outside and center...(like a bulls eye)..just one red ring and that's all.

I'd want to take her in as soon as you can. If you truly don't have the money, try some athlete's foot cream for a few days and see if there's improvement. (takes about a month to get rid of if it's ring worm!)

Also, if it IS ring worm it's pretty contagious....you can get it and so can the other dogs or cats! (you probably already know all this, but in case you don't and for other readers)

Wash all bedding, check everyone else, try to pin point where it might have come from otherwise you'll just keep getting new spots and passing it around!
(been there done that after a trip to arkansas and a stray infected kitty!)
Weird, every case I've seen of ring worm has been like that. It's the rung in ringworm.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site