Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Terriers

So I am now thinking about our next terrier and I want to keep my options open and start researching breeders. It probably won't be for another few years. We want to get another terrier pup before Teagan is too old to raise it properly and happily.

-Nothing too much smaller than Teagan, who is 16lbs, but for the right breed I would be willing to go smaller.
- Good amount of Prey drive
- Can settle in the house.
- Must have wiry hair.

And GO!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Resident fainting goat

I'm so beyond not a terrier person but I've always thought scotties were seriously the cutest things

You should get one

and get it a little plaid coat
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Big Dog

I love wirehaired doxies! Not technically terriers, but close enough!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm not a terrier person either...but I think a broken coated JRT would fit the bill.

In my opinion, it seems like a lot of terrier breeds aren't hard core working dogs anymore. Scotties, Westies, Cairns...they seem to be watered down in that regard. So I guess it depends if you want a "pet" type dog, or a more intense dog? Do you care about possible DA? Grooming requirements? Barkiness? Athleticism?

Also, if you wanted to go big, I've met a lot of awesome Airedales.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I'm not a terrier person either...but I think a broken coated JRT would fit the bill.

In my opinion, it seems like a lot of terrier breeds aren't hard core working dogs anymore. Scotties, Westies, Cairns...they seem to be watered down in that regard. So I guess it depends if you want a "pet" type dog, or a more intense dog? Do you care about possible DA? Grooming requirements? Barkiness? Athleticism?

Also, if you wanted to go big, I've met a lot of awesome Airedales.

Well, yes my issue is finding a terrier that has the terrierness that a lot of the well bred ones are missing. I've been looking at Westie breeders, but all I have been finding is show bred, show bred and more show bred. Grrr... Most of all the BYB Westies I have come into contact with have had awesome prey drive. *cries*

Honestly DA comes with the terrier breed no matter what. I would be ok with dealing with DR . I need all my dogs to get along in the household. C&R is not possible with our lifestyle, but DR, DA towards strange dogs does not bother me. And future terrier will be a female as not to collide with Pan who will be kept intact.

I get Teagan stripped, so if I get another wiry terrier it will be getting stripped as well. So heavy grooming requirements is not an issue.

Barkiness does not bother me. I have a terrier already lol. Actually barkier the better..ummm keeps the bears away lol

I need a dog that can hike, ratting and go grouse hunting all day.

Airedales are a little too big for what I am looking for. I want a dog I can carry around. Two big dogs is too much lol

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Big Dog

How about a Miniature Schnauzer? I have a Miniature Schnauzer, who sounds like everything you'd be fine with. He's 18 pounds last time weighed. He's a good barker .... if you like a nice non-manly bark, haha! His two main reasons to bark are alert barking and sass barking; although, the sass part is more so "Rooooo!".

Excellent with my other animals in the home (birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc.), but has a lot of prey drive when it comes to outdoor animals, so what I'm saying is he knows well what he can and can not go after. I can imagine that would probably be a case by case basis though, being they were bred to go after vermin.

At 10 years old he is still full of energy and can go out walking for long periods of time just fine, but he's always settled well in the house. Although can be stubborn at times, he's always picked up on things in no time. Has always learned no tricks / activities in only a day or so time (depending on how much we'd work on it), and remembers from there on out! And like I'd said, they were originally bred to be used as farm dogs to go after vermin!

For grooming, stripping is what is usually done with the breed to keep the coat wiry, although we've always just had him shaved, which creates a more fluffy & curly coat.

But yes, Miniature Schnauzer sounds good if you ask me!