Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Active Pup

Default What Would You Do?

Hey,

My partner and I recently brought home a new pup. She's an 8 week old lab and we've had her for one week now.

She seems to have settled in great, but there's just one problem: She cries a lot at night.

The pup sleeps downstairs in her crate and I, for the past week, have been sleeping on the sofa because of her crying. I let her out to do her business twice per night, but in between that, she still cries to come out of her crate.

I was wondering if this is normal? If so, when will it stop? And if not, how can I stop her from crying so much? I obviously don't want to keep sleeping on the sofa!

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 09-10-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Big Mutts

The puppy is crying because she misses her mom/littermates. She's always had someone to snuggle with until now.
Most times when we've had a new puppy we get something to put the puppy in (a cardboard box works well) . Put the box with the puppy in it beside your bed and pet the puppy occasionally, reassuring her that you're still around. When she falls asleep remove your hand. It also helps to play/exercise the puppy to get her sleepy before bed. And it doesn't hurt to put a towel or stuffed toy in with her also.

Or .......you could just let her sleep with you
Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
The puppy is crying because she misses her mom/littermates. She's always had someone to snuggle with until now.
Most times when we've had a new puppy we get something to put the puppy in (a cardboard box works well) . Put the box with the puppy in it beside your bed and pet the puppy occasionally, reassuring her that you're still around. When she falls asleep remove your hand. It also helps to play/exercise the puppy to get her sleepy before bed. And it doesn't hurt to put a towel or stuffed toy in with her also.

Or .......you could just let her sleep with you
Sounds like it could work. Do you think it will be too confusing for her to move from downstairs in her crate (which she quite willingly goes into to sleep) to upstairs into a box?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
Sounds like it could work. Do you think it will be too confusing for her to move from downstairs in her crate (which she quite willingly goes into to sleep) to upstairs into a box?
Could you put her crate near your bed? Crate covers also work too. If you have a crate I don't see why you would want to put her in a box.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Big Mutts

It wouldn't have to be a box, we didn't have a crate at the time.
You could put her crate in your room and just try talking to her soothingly.
If she knows you're there with her sometimes that's all that matters.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Active Pup

The thing is, she's not sleeping downstairs alone - I'm there with her. The sofa is two feet away, and when she does cry I have tried putting my fingers through the crate to stroke her and it calms her down but only for a moment or two.

I have, on occasion, given into her cries and let her out thinking she might need the toilet again, but she just plays.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Active Pup

I had a female Labrador Retriever puppy once when I was little, and she cried in the middle of the night for the first couple of weeks. Looking back at it now, I regret not knowing any better.

I like gapeach’s advice about your puppy’s crying and biting. I would also like to suggest letting her play with other puppies and dogs in a dog park if possible. Then, if she bites them too much or too hard, they will let her know, too, and she will definitely get the message.