Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Show Dog

Default Just for fun breed guesses

I did this once before on the other dog forum but with a lot of suggestions of what I THINK he might be. Be fun to try again with a bunch of new people and no influence from my opinion yet.

Some pictures from our recent beach trip

He's about 5.5 years old and around 47#. I can get measurements if I remember tonight. Single coat, 1.5-2 inches in the longest areas, webbed toes.

He loves everyone, never met a stranger just future friends. Gets along with most dogs, is a bit too rough and vocal for some dogs though. He'll mostly just ignore small dogs, greet politely but knows he can't play rough with them so doesn't try to play at all. Goes to doggie daycare once, sometimes twice, a week and does great.

Huge snuggler, velcro but not needy, on the higher end of moderate energy. Basically on an average day he gets walked 2-3 miles a day and maybe 10-15 minutes of play/training and 1-2 days at daycare. He CAN go all day but doesn't have to.

Pretty decent prey drive, wants to chase squirrels and deer, HAS to try and chase chipmunks and rabbits. Neighborhood cats are starting to approach the chipmunk/rabbit level of MUST try and chase.

He LOVES doing nosework and is pretty good at it.

ETA: Forgot to add he's extremely food motivated. Will work his butt off for kibble let alone high value treats. Teaching him something new is mostly a matter of getting him to understand what it is I want him to do and he's a pretty good problem solver. Pretty biddable in general as well.

Example of his idea of fun play, at least 90% of the vocalization is from him. This is also after about four days of this 1 year old foster staying with us and wanting to play constantly if they were together. My boy was tired haha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPGRZlzccKw

He'll always be my snugly brindle mutt but it's fun to get guesses. I'm sure he is the result of at least a couple generations of mutts.

Last edited by Dagwall; 09-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

You know, what I mostly see is Labrador. Brindle isn't impossible in labs, and throw in a little bit of plott or cur dog and there you have it. I can see some hound possibly in his head, maybe catahoula, but I'd expect a 'houla/lab cross to be bigger.

He's very cute! I would never have guessed he was five years old!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
You know, what I mostly see is Labrador...
I wouldn't say mostly, but I see some Lab, too. His personality sounds very Lab like. I'll guess there's some Whippet in the mix, too.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm All Ears

I want to guess lab x mountain cut. Somewhat reminds me of Meg.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

If I were to guess a multi-gen mix, I'd say LabxACDxBoxer and/or Pittie, maybe with a smidge of hound in there somewhere. I always forget about Curs, but they aren't very common in my area. If they are in yours, that's always a possibility.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Show Dog

Yeah based off his happy go lucky, goofy attitude towards everything and body type I'm pretty sure there is a good bit of lab in there. It's the rest that's a mystery. He's such a good boy and I really lucked out as a first time dog owner.

When I try and describe him to people and don't have pictures available I say he looks like a small brindle lab.