Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default At home workouts

I am completely out of shape. I'm happy with my weight (if I lost 10 pounds I'd also be happy with my weight), I just have NO muscle, NO flexibility, and very little endurance (in terms of jogging, anyway - I can walk or ride a bike forever).

Now that I'm trying to be as active as I can be during my "down time" in order to keep myself busy, I am very interested in a workout regime I can do at home. I figured if I'm trying to keep myself busy, I may as well be productive while I do it. LOL I don't have time for a gym membership, and I don't have time to take a fitness class. When I have time to be home I need to be home, or the poor dogs will really never get any attention.

Now that I found that awesome walking trail by my apartment, I plan to take the dogs there at least three times a week and walk for an hour (or two, if I have the time), as long as the weather is agreeable. I may throw on a weighted back pack to make it a bit more of a challenge for me (and make me super glad I'm not a student anymore LOL).

But, more often than not, I'm getting home extremely late, or I've been on my feet for 10 hours at work and don't feel like doing anything super strenuous when I get home. For days like those, I'd like to just do something "simple"...nothing that will give me an insane cardio work out, but something that will still benefit me in some way.

Any ideas? Good websites? Videos? I do have a Kinect, so maybe even a video game?

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...-build-muscle/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...kick-your-ass/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010...hotel-workout/

Search "workout" on there and you'll get more!

Bodyrock.tv has a TON of video resources, ranging in times. Some have "focuses" like lower body, et cetera.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I do have a Kinect, so maybe even a video game?
I don't use it but I saw this on Youtube while I was browsing gameplay videos recently..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79s-5y-MCtk

Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Thanks so much for the links!

As much as I am going to have to beat myself in the butt to get myself to actually work out, I really, really need to. I walked for an hour tonight (probably....3 miles total, maybe, since I normally walk 2 miles in 40 minutes?) and it felt so good to just get MOVING again.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Silence! I ban you!

I've talked about it before, but in my recent transformation, I relied heavily on Beach Body's "10 Minute Trainer". I dropped over 80 pounds doing that exclusively for 6 months (along with a better diet).

That's really the key. You need to eat right and get active. Eat better, exercise more. Who knew?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Resident fainting goat

I do the insanity workouts.
Frankly, it works well for what it is. It sure as hell isn't pleasant but it does what it says it will.. gets you SWEATING and gets your body moving/HURTING.. all for 50 minutes a day.

I threw up a few times.
Had to pause the workouts more time than I can count to pant on the floor.

At the end of the day.. 80% of it is diet.
the other 20% is finding the time to exercise. I don't do insanity every day anymore, but I do make an effort if I don't, to do SOMETHING to get my heart rate up (jog, walk, swim, etc..)

You need to be reasonably fit for insanity.. It's a lot of jumping and endurance and honestly, the first 2 weeks it's very likely you will be sore everyday lol

that said, I loved the videos when my BF is away because I do them after dinner and then I drag myself in the shower and PASS OUT puts me to bed like a drunk baby
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Club Terrible - President

There's also C25K.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
At the end of the day.. 80% of it is diet.
This bears repeating. And by "diet" we mean what, how and when you eat, not "I'm on the Atkins/South Beach/Liquid/Latest fad diet".

There was a great GIF on theBerry recently I'll post here:

Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

oh, you can out exercise diet I did all thru college and for quite a while after. Then I got to a point where I didn't want to do that anymore. I averaged close to 10K calories per day and that didn't count all the liquid carbs we'd drink , I don't remember all the specifics, but I did diet analysis for a couple classes and lets say I was in the "danger" zone for almost everything

I was about 6% body fat and the best shape of my life, but my whole life was activity all the time. When I wasn't in class anyway, and I skipped half of those.

Juicy Lucy hamburgers on the way to class for breakfast were the norm
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

My job with the horses now is all the workout I need btw cleaning stalls & riding. But when I go home for a few months I have to work out. Nothing replaces the physical job I have but it keep me in good enough shape.

I run a mile every day
I do leg lifts & crunches every day
I have one of those stretchy band thingies (don't know what they are called lol), the toughest resistance you can get & I do five minutes of aerobic & strength training work with it. I'm also thinking of getting a weighted vest