Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Sleep Aids

I've been taking 75mg of Diphenhydramine to help me fall asleep/stay asleep overnight. It used to do a good job and I could notice a difference when I didn't take it versus when I did, but I think I've built up a tolerance to it. So now I'm looking for something a little extra, or something else entirely, to help my sleeping habits.

I don't need anything prescription...it's nothing as bad as insomnia. It just takes me awhile to fall asleep (45-60mins+), and then when I do fall asleep, I typically wake up 2-3 times over the course of the night (and then struggle to fall asleep again). I'm physically exhausted, I just can't get my brain to agree!

With Mike being gone, not only is my normal "bed time" routine completely out of whack, but I often go to bed feeling anxious or stressed due to life (my work schedule, being the only one to do housework, take care of the dogs, run errands, stay on top of bills, etc., etc.). Going to bed feeling content and relaxed isn't really something I've been able to enjoy these past few weeks. I'm hoping once my new daily routine/schedule becomes more of a habit and less of a novelty I'll be able to go back to sleeping without the need of any meds or supplements.

I found a brand of "sleep aid" that uses Doxylamine Succinate as its active ingredient, not Diphenhydramine. How does that compare? I read somewhere that Doxylamine has a greater sedative effect, and also doesn't build up tolerance like Diphenhydramine does?

I also wouldn't mind taking something herbal/natural as a supplement to improve my sleeping habits (or lower my anxiety!). I am on birth control, so I'd like to avoid Melatonin if I can. Anybody have any personal experience?

(I did have a wonderful nights sleep Wednesday night after a girls-night-in with my friend, but I try to avoid consuming that much alcohol on a daily basis. )

Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Since it sounds mostly like your mind is racing, have you considered doing some yoga and meditation before you go to bed? You might not need meds, just some other kind of mental release or order...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I know sleepy-time tea rally helps my boyfriend if he drinks some an hour before sleep. It seems to calm him down a bit, get his brain to slow down.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I know sleepy-time tea rally helps my boyfriend if he drinks some an hour before sleep. It seems to calm him down a bit, get his brain to slow down.
I was gonna say that too. My dad used to drink it every night and he thought it really helped.

I can't even imagine 75mg of benadryl lol makes me tired just reading that. 25mg completely knocks me out.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

Some chamomile tea (the good stuff made with whole chamomile...like this http://www.adagio.com/herbal/chamomile.html ) followed by melatonin. I actually haven't taken melatonin in a LONG time, come to think of it (so I guess I recommend classic Doctor Who? lol), but I used to take it every night. They make regular, quick release, and extended release. If you have trouble with waking up at night, I'd take an extended release (coated tablet/capsule) AND some quick release (usually a sublingual liquid). The quick release will get you to sleep in 20-30 minutes, and the extended release will help you stay asleep.

The good thing about melatonin is that it actually helps reset your sleep cycles over time.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

I take Valerian root, and find that helps a lot.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I can't even imagine 75mg of benadryl lol makes me tired just reading that. 25mg completely knocks me out.
Even before I started taking it to help me sleep at night, I could take two tablets for allergies and only feel slightly drowzy. 75mg is the amount in two tablets of AdvilPM (or the like), so I figured taking just the benadryl and not the NSAID would be just as effective (and save my poor gut).

I think the issue with melatonin and birth control is that it will just cause too high of an elevation of melatonin, since apparently birth control also can raise your natural levels? I really don't know. Whether or not it decreases the effectiveness is a moot point since I'm not currently having sex, but I don't want to throw my poor system for a loop more so than it already is.

I'll have to look into the tea, and the Valerian root. Thanks! I'm not a big hot tea drinker, but I give myself a half hour every night to just wind down before bed, and I could certainly sip on a cup during that time.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I was going to suggest Sleepy Time tea, too. If that doesn't work, try Tension Tamer. For some weird reason, Tension Tamer puts me out like a light within an hour of drinking it, yet Sleepy Time just relaxes me a little.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

I also wanted to add that the light from a TV screen or computer or phone screen can really mess up your circadian rhythm too. So if you're doing any of those things an hour before bedtime, you should stop...instead, read a book or listen to music to wind down.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Since it sounds mostly like your mind is racing, have you considered doing some yoga and meditation before you go to bed? You might not need meds, just some other kind of mental release or order...
This x 10000000. It is amazing what it can do for your sleep!!

Plus getting up earlier and exercising more.

Also I've known people who swear by holy basil tea before bed to help them sleep. Like literally drink it and drop. You can get it in tea bags if you look around.

Personally for me stress and anxiety keep me awake, so work on that and sleep will follow!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein