Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Is a Smart Phone worth it?

Looking at upgrading into the real world of phone technology.

Right now, I've got a TracPhone which costs me probably around $40 bucks a month in minutes. I can text and call. Fancy, I know.

Josh and I are looking at plans and phones and they are expensive. EXPENSIVE (compared to what we have now, lol).

So, worth it? What phones are good, bad? I like the waterproof Galaxy one. I don't have a bad record with ruining phones, but I've been known to put it in the water a few times.

I'd like to have apps and cool fitness trackers and such. FB would be nice too. We are currently through AT&T for Josh's phone. They have decent service around here.. Are there other services known for being better/cheaper/better service?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I believe T-Mobile is $50 off-contract for unlimited everything. (Everything as in texts, minutes, and data.) That means you have to buy the phone outright, though. No discounts and cheap phones for entering into a contract. I have Verizon and the service is great, but the price is not. AT&T and Verizon also don't have unlimited data.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

YES. Yes, a smart phone is TOTALLY worth it. I've had one for 2 years now, and I would probably die without it. It's my entire brain and my computer and my alarm clock AND my phone all in one. Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without the calendar which AUTOMATICALLY syncs with my Google calendar (I have android).

My phone is through Korger's iwireless (iwirelesshome.com) and it costs me $10/month OR $25/3 months. I get free minutes for buying gas, groceries, and gift cards (including phones cards!). I only buy phone cards to keep my phone active and for 3G data (and even then I don't use much data, I use mostly wifi). The phone itself was $60...it's an LG sometihngorother, but it's a slider so I have have my keyboard and still have a nice big touch screen. I love it to bits and would never want to live another day without it The service itself goes through Sprint towers, so it gets good nationwide coverage/reception.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

RESIST! I still live in the world of texting and calling. It's mostly okay. The price is definitely right!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
RESIST! I still live in the world of texting and calling. It's mostly okay. The price is definitely right!
Actually, my phone plan is the same price it was pre-smartphone.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Chihuahua Power!

For me, a smart phone is totally worth it. I don't know what I'd do without my phone! I love having GPS constantly available, and there are so many helpful apps that I use on a daily basis.

I have an iPhone 5 (I had the 3Gs for over 2 years before upgrading) and I couldn't be happier with it.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Honestly? It depends.

All 5 of us in this house have smart phones. 2 with iPhones, 3 with Androids. Myself and my brother are really the only one that use smartphones for their capabilities (and we both have Android). My dad, by far, does not need a smart phone... he calls and texts. That's it. Heck, he had the company disable data on it, so he can't accidentally hit something and ring up charges.

It is worth it for me? Absolutely, but I also run a rescue and it's a huge deal to be able to get my emails wherever I am, as I'm not home often. (Or, I'm home more often now that I don't have a dog, but that's still not very often...) If I didn't have the rescue, I can't say I would have a smartphone (well, except that it's practically impossible to find a non-smartphone around here).

That said, I also use a small company and get unlimited global text/picture message/local calling/data for like $30 a month.. which is less than I paid for my previous non-smartphone.

I can't say I'd get a smartphone just to have apps and facebook. It's just... not worth the extra price many people have to pay.

ETA: I also don't have my own computer at the moment, so not having a smartphone would just mean I had to buy a computer...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
For me, a smart phone is totally worth it. I don't know what I'd do without my phone! I love having GPS constantly available, and there are so many helpful apps that I use on a daily basis.

I have an iPhone 5 (I had the 3Gs for over 2 years before upgrading) and I couldn't be happier with it.
^this. Just so much this. I love love love my iPhone 5.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Not worth it for me. I went in around my birthday to check into it because I kind of wanted one. Turns out there's really nothing I "need" on a Smart Phone enough to make my phone bill more than double what it currently is.

That said there are people who honestly can't live without it, like salespeople who have to be connected 24/7, reachable by e-mail even if they're on the road out and about visiting clients. I am thankfully not one of those people.

Also be aware that once you upgrade you will suddenly think your life depends on all the bells and whistles of a Smart Phone, and downgrading will appear completely impossible. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Sit! Good dog.

No!!!!! Avoid avoid avoid.

Unless you have will power.....

I love and loathe my phone in equal measures.

It will steal your soul.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein