Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Default How vocal is your dog?

How vocal is your dog - and why do they bark?

Zora is WAY more vocal than Gipsy and she barks for totally different reasons. Gipsy would bark if someone rang the door, or she saw guest, or someone was in the yard. SOMETIMES if someone was walking by.
Zora barks for none of these reasons - but she's much much more vocal. She barks when she wants your attention, when she's hungry, when she wants something, when she's annoyed, when she wants to go out and just... because... she... can. So much barking. We're working on her not barking so much, but oh my goodness does she bark alot. She's a herding breed so this isn't too surprising but boy oh boy it can be annoying.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Mountain Dawg

Lugia is pretty quiet, she used to be barky as a puppy (which I discouraged by hugging her every time she barked... she hated hugs as a pup). She'll bark if she hears a stranger moving around in the house, bark periodically during intense play sessions, and sometimes if she feels ignored she'll bark once to get my attention.

Circus (who's only 4 months old so perhaps it'll change as she gets older) as of right now is surprisingly quiet for a Koolie. My mum's Maltese dogs are WAY barkier than she is. Circus will bark maybe once or twice if she sees Lugia chewing something that she wants, and she'll yip once if we're doing a training session and she gets frustrated. I've left her at daycare too, and the workers always tell me that she loves to play with the other dogs but is quiet while doing so. The first week I had her she was *extremely* barky (mostly barking at my mum's little white dogs, they moved a bit too chaotically for her), and I'd discourage it by picking her up and holding her as a timeout, and putting her back down as soon as she settled. For the past month or so I've barely heard a peep out of her.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm All Ears

My two are incredibly vocal. Mia is the most vocal dog I've ever owned but Summer is close though. Summer is mostly excitement barking. At agility no dog can hold a candle to Summer's barking. It is non stop.

Mia barks all the time. Excited about something. A weird noise. She brought you a ball and you're not playing. The other dog is annoying her. The other dog is ignoring her. We're going on a car ride. She is kenneled. Other dog is getting trained and she is not. I came home and she's happy. The tennis ball is under the couch. There is a squirrel or mouse she sees. Etc

She also screams when excited.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey whined to hear herself whine.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Bristol the Shih Tzuish makes little to no noise. She only barks when she is playing. That is it, never at people, never at us, never at noise, never at anything.

Gage barks at other dogs, and if a stranger comes in our yard, or up to the fence if he is outside. Bits really about all.

Diesel barks at all.the.things inside and outside. Or on tv. Or at the neighbours. Or at the wind, the leaves, hell and gnat farts and he has to inform us lmao.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Little dog, big voice

Moses barks if the doorbell goes, if he thinks he hears a noise coming from outside or if strange men enter the house. I think his lack of hearing worsens the barking, because he can't quite figure out where a specific noise is coming from... but we love him despite the delusions.

Cali is very vocal, and gets relatively annoying sometimes. Like Laurelin said about Mia: barks when she's excited, barks when she wants to play, barks when she's startled, whines when she wants something... just loud. However, if she gets too excited, she's completely silent and pins her ears back and wiggles her butt at about one hundred miles per hour.

ETA: I forgot to mention the screaming. If Moses goes to steal her food or a chew toy, she screams. A high pitched wailing noise that is nearly deafening. It's such a huge overreaction because she always steals his toys, and he lets her. But the other way around and it's the end of the world.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Big Dog

My yorkie/pom is fairly quiet most the time, he only barks when he hears something [thankfully he's not a phantom barker]. Some times he takes it too far when someone is walking by while outside.

My chow/husky is fairly quiet, but will bark if he hears something [99.9% it's someone outside door]. So I feel he does a great job there of not over doing it and only alerting when needed. He however does LOVE to 'talk' to you, and it takes very little encouragement to get him started [woo woo]. He def took the husky there.

My chow...extremely quiet.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

Zander rarely alert barks. But if he does, then I know something is seriously wrong.

He'll whine to ask for things, like going out, food, etc. But mostly he just talks to talk. Every morning we have a full conversation about his night. When people come over he'll introduce himself, then go lay down. He'll yell at the Child for doing something he isn't supposed to, or come tell us about it.

So he's definitely pretty vocal. Mostly vocal. Not barky, though. Just talking.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Silence, peasants.

I tend to forget that Wesley is not the norm until I'm around someone else's dog and it isn't moaning, grumbling, whining, crying (yes, distinction) and barking 24/7. I'm not sure he even stops making noise when he sleeps. So yeah, he likes to talk.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Resident fainting goat

Not vocal at all really.

He barks when he plays roughly or plays chase with other dogs (lol he plays with his mouth open so he can bark freely)
other than that, he is quiet which is funny because you don't think of aussies as a very quiet breed.

He will also alert bark at a knock at the door (one, single "AROOF") but otherwise..nada.

He barked at the store one day at something and all the employees got quiet and were like "..Merlin?" haha it isn't a frequent sound.