Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Duuuuude.

Default What do you wish you'd named your dog? What did you almost choose?

Or, what were some names you considered but then decided they didn't fit? I love name stories!

I had a decent list of names before I got Rowan, and I was pretty set on using Ozzy. Then I met him, and once I knew he was for me, I realized that he just... isn't an Ozzy. I still like the name a lot, but I'm also kind of glad I didn't use it since it's common(ish) and I like weird names "Rowan" wasn't even on my list but I found it while searching for the perfect name and, well, it was perfect. It means "little redhead." I found the list on my old Livejournal and I guess I was also considering Bo, Kavick, Toki, Archon, Boslo and Sawyer (before finding him.) One of his nicknames is "Bo Dog" for whatever reason so I guess that one stuck!

I was reaaaaally tempted to name Riff "Hobbes". I think it would've fit him pretty well, but I don't regret choosing Riff, which fits him like a glove He's a troublemaking hooligan, like the character he's named after. I didn't really have a list of potential boy names because I had been looking for a female, and none of the ones I liked for girls were really unisex. He has long white whiskers so I think Catfish would've been a great goofy name for him, too. I joke that I should've named him Skippy because he's such an upbeat goober, it would've fit too.

Did you go through various names before settling on one? Are there any names you wished you'd used instead of the one you did?

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Top Dog

Gage came with Gage, we tossed a few different names around but it means oath or pledge and being his 3rd home in 3 weeks i decided that he was due a pledge that we would be his final home.

Diesel came to us with Buddy, I had a dog as a child named Buddy (named after the German Shepherd in the disney movie about the first guide dog LOL) and no way could i have another dog named that. Hubby has always wanted a dog named Diesel so Diesel he became. I wish we had given him a better name, but walking him and Gage together poeple always assume the big dog is named Diesel LOL.

Bristol I named, I had picked a female pup out of the litter if there was one. I had 2 names picked Bristol and Calliegh, Bristol was chosen because she was born backwards and with 2 brothers so she needed the tougher sounding name LOL.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Top Dog

Bayleigh was Angel when her previous owner surrendered her to the shelter. But I was taking her home to foster and my cat is named Angel and my director pressured me to come up with a new name quickly so I blurted out Gremlin. I love the name and she does look like a gremlin. No one else liked it but she was my foster so I named her. Little did I know that three days later I was going to make it official and keep her. Like I said, no one else liked the name Gremlin so I changed it to Bayleigh. Not sure why I chose that name other than I like it. I usually put a lot more thought into a name.

I really wish I would have kept Gremlin. She's my dog but I let the others talk me out of it. Guess it sounds to boyish. Oh well...
Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 AM
such sights to show you

I almost named Pip, "Flower." His name at the foster was "Freckles" and I knew I wanted to change it, I was brainstorming black and white things and thought of the skunk in Bambi. My husband really, really didn't like it and so I dropped it. Sometimes I kind of regret it, but Pip suits him so well that it's hard to imagine him with a different name. (Ultimately we chose "Pip" as an obscure version of "Spot.")

Squash came with his name and there was no question about changing it.

Maisy, I just knew I wanted a girly name and sifted through baby name lists until I found one I liked.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Top Dog

Neat thread idea .

Zoie was almost Lilly. It wouldn't have suited her, she's not overly feminine .
Skye was named "Shy" previously...I hated that name, but figured Skye was close enough she would still recognize it. A guy was staying with me at the time and wanted me to name her Domino for the spot on her butt...err, no.
Romeo I had a tough time, I think I was considering Titan as well, but he was way too much of a love for that name .
The other dogs we settled on one name pretty quickly, or kept the previous owners' name.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

Gavroche came with the name "Ralphie" and I briefly considered keeping it. I had a list eventually narrowed down to a few characters from Les Mis - I believe I had Grantaire, Enjolros, Courfeyrac, and Feuilly in the runnning. It eventually came down to what name was easier to quickly pronounce It totally fits him, though. I'm glad I went with Gavroche.

Logan came with his name. At the time, I really wanted my next male dog to be named Fiyero. I suppose I could have changed Logan's name, but he was already used to it (he was a year old when I got him) and it's really a fantastic name for him, especially when you take his registered name into consideration! So, if anything, I'm glad I kept his name. Many SD handlers use a pseudonym for their SDs in public so they aren't as easy to distract if someone asks their name and then uses it. I do occasionally play around with pseudonyms for him, but I'm terrible about remembering to use said pseudonyms, so I usually don't bother. In the cases I have tried to use a pseudonym, it's felt really awkward and wrong lol.

I have TONS of names for future dogs. In the lead right now is Ianto or Aggedor for a male, and Elphaba or River for a female.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Mountain Dawg

Circus' name is perfect and I'd never change it -- it just suits her so well!

Lugia (hard "g"), well, I love her name but I regret naming her that. People get so confused when I tell them her name ("Rukia? Luigi? Yugioh? Loogey?") I also hate that "loogie" is slang for a glob of spit, cuz I didn't even become aware of that until after I named her and had tags made. Really wish that I had named her "Veela", a pretty name for a pretty dog.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

I honestly can't remember what other names I had on the list for Ivan. The first time I saw him, Ivan just popped into my head. And unfortunately its a fitting name( Ivan the terrible).

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Abrams has always been an Abrams. When I was thinking of Future Puppy names, I wasn't having much luck. Mike is a big tank nerd, so I thought, "Well, we could name him after a tank. Especially since he'll be big!" I also read a breed description of Chessies being the "tank" of the retrievers. Mike gave me a ton of options, and Abrams and Sherman were my favorite, with Abrams being my number one pick. When we went to pick him up, we waited until we arrived home to officially name him, and Abrams it was.

Mom calls him Buster. *rolls eyes*

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer came to me at 4 as Summer. I'd known her since she was a pup as Summer so changing it would have been weird even though I have a relative named Summer too.

Mia came to me as Gayla and that was just icky. She was almost named Spring or Bounce which are great names but sound way too nice for Mia. I had pretty much settled on Maya but wasn't really sold on it for her. My Dad suggested Mia and it just fit. Mia means mine/my an that's exactly what Mia is. Mia somehow fits her well even though its a little....proper for such a hooligan. She gets called Brat or You Little Fart more often than not anyways.

Last edited by Laurelin; 07-26-2013 at 01:21 PM.