Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM
<--------Orson

Default Small dog folks....help please!

We are going to get real serious about finding a new family member, probably by December....possibly the new year. HUZZAH!

So as I mentioned in the other thread, we are downsizing. Our household is changing, Kevin and I are slowing down, and likely traveling more often especially since we have a boy in the military now. Plus we are running out of kids who can take the dog out in the backyard and play for a few hours till they are both exhausted! LOL

We think it's best to go with a much smaller breed.......problem is, I have about ZERO experience with small breeds.

What we're pretty sure we need:

1. We'd like about 10lbs or less (that's a loose number)
2. Only needs a short daily walk (a mile or less) and a bit of play for exercise needs to be met
3. Reasonably easy to potty train (I've heard certain small breeds can be difficult in this area?)
4. No excessive grooming needs
5. No breeds known for excessive barking

A few breeds I find aesthetically pleasing are Yorkies, Papillons, toy poodles, and Bichons. I don't know much (if anything) beyond how adorable they are, LOL....If you have reasons WHY they would or wouldn't work for us, please speak up and explain. I really do want to get this figured out before starting a search.

Also, if you have another breed you think would be PERFECT toss that in and include some info! TIA!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM
LABRADERP!

A nice Shih Tzu would fit the bill
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Can you define excessive grooming? Because of those 4 breeds, at least 3 of them have what I think most people mean by excessive grooming needs.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

It depends if you're willing to get the dog professionally groomed regularly. If you are, papillons would have the most excessive grooming needs there. A yorkie or poodle could be clipped short and only need to go in every 6-8 weeks, possibly slightly longer if you got them cut short and let it grow out a bit.

If you don't want a barker, rule out pomeranians. Also be wary of miniature dachshunds and maltese (although I know a few quiet ones).

You might want to consider a havanese, actually. They'd be pretty spot on your requirements. A shih tzu is also a good option, but they have a few health issues to watch for.

Is a chihuahua out? They can be higher energy, but I doubt it's anything you can't handle. Yorkies are also a higher energy small dog, as are paps (I'm sure you know).

The small breeds seem IME to have more of a range of energy levels, too. Here we have yorkies that are JRT/border collie/etc. go-go-go, and some that are pretty keen on chilling out 99% of the time.

Yorkies/poodles/paps/chihuahuas are more biddable than the shih tzu/havanese, so that's another consideration.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

Kay's post about the Japanese Chin at her school kind of has me on a Chin kick. I worked with a woman that started breeding them...I think they would fit your requirements. Such nice little dogs, biddable and perpetually happy, but they don't need tons of exercise. They don't tend to have the fear issues other small breeds can have (like chis and bichons). They are quiet, described as more cat like.

Maybe the Papillon owners will smack me for this, but I find Papillons to be VERY loud. And most small terriers too...my Toy Fox Terrier alert barks constantly, and chases and barks at the big dogs when they run.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Little dog, big voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Kay's post about the Japanese Chin at her school kind of has me on a Chin kick. I worked with a woman that started breeding them...I think they would fit your requirements. Such nice little dogs, biddable and perpetually happy, but they don't need tons of exercise. They don't tend to have the fear issues other small breeds can have (like chis and bichons). They are quiet, described as more cat like.

Maybe the Papillon owners will smack me for this, but I find Papillons to be VERY loud. And most small terriers too...my Toy Fox Terrier alert barks constantly, and chases and barks at the big dogs when they run.
That is completely true... at least for Cali. She's not the type of dog to bark for absolutely no reason, but when she gets excited... she's very, very loud. Or she'll get so excited that she's completely silent. She is relatively good at quieting down though.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm All Ears

Well they are called yapillons for a reason.

Paps are typically alert/excitement barkers (and paps tend to excite pretty easily). Mia is also a screamer when she's excited/over aroused.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Not a Border Collie

Havanese!

Incredibly lovely, happy little dogs. Very easy going, happy in a lap but still up for fun. I know one who is pretty barky, but I think that is lack of quality training - the other ones I know will bark if someone comes to the door and that's it.

Their full coat requires grooming, but the breeder I know keeps them clipped once they're done in the show ring.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Can you define excessive grooming? Because of those 4 breeds, at least 3 of them have what I think most people mean by excessive grooming needs.
I'm not afraid to learn to trim fur or I can have them professionally done, I defintely don't want a dog who only looks 'right' with a long coat. IMO, most of the breeds I listed look fine (cute even) being clipped reasonably short. Except papillon ear fur of course, LOL

Shih tzus are not out of the question, and no....have not even thought of a Brussels! *noted.

Havanese look awesome as well!

And ya, if Paps are excited barkers I don't think they'd be a good fit for us. That's sort of why we ruled out Chihuahuas (his parents, grand parents and sister all have them and whether typical or not, theirs are ALL obnoxious barkers! probably a lot due to poor training though) We go camping and there's lots of nature noise at night around our camper, we also have neighbors here at home that come and go night/day and I don't want a breed that can't be (easily) persuaded to ignore irrelevant noises.

I have not read or seen much of anything concerning Chins.....I'll get on that.

I'll admit that Yorkies are right up there. Very cute, they seem to be smart and compliant. Grooming seems reasonable if they are kept trimmed as well.

I do want to check out the brussels, chin, and havanese some more as well. I tell you, I'm getting all tickled and butterfly stomach just thinking of a new dog! WEEEEEE! LOL
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Little dog, big voice

Papillons may or may not be a good fit, because it would depend on the individual dog. There's a fair bit of variety in the breed, from what I've gathered.

Cali can manage with a short/moderate walk and some play time, but is she completely content? No. She much prefers doing some trick training and going out for a nice, long hike and a game of fetch. I know some papillons would be content to laze around all day though, and you might be able to find that if you went with an older rescue, but even older papillons seem to be a bit energetic at times.

Cali is a little bit over five pounds, and although she is not an excessive barker, she does bark. A lot of it is training though, because to be honest, I don't mind barking when we're in the midst of fetch or playing a game. She's picked up on alert barking from the family dog but quiets down quickly. I think most papillons have a vocal side though.

Grooming requirements aren't too bad, but I find Cali looks a bit disgusting if I wait too long between trimming up her paws and hind legs. I try to give her a quick brushing, of no more than five minutes, every other day. Her fur doesn't easily mat unless we've been swimming in the pool, but that's just the pH. Her coat isn't nearly as high maintenance as people think, but then again, she doesn't have an excessive amount of coat. Her ear fringe is quite crazy at times though.

Some other things that I've picked up on with Cali are that she's extremely biddable and smart, and that she's very people/handler-oriented as she tends to pick up on my body language. She's a velcro dog in a sense but loves everyone.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.