Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
<--------Orson

Default Doggie backpacks/saddle bags....

I'm not talking about loading the dog up with tent/groceries/camping supplies for the week, LOL but I've been thinking about a backpack or saddle bag size/weight appropriate that can hold (speaking for Orson) a couple water bottles, wallet, spare leash, maybe a snack, and/or bandaids-first aid stuff for a hike.

Get more doggie bang for his buck on the hike.........a bit more workout.

Do you have an opinion about them?

Have you used them?

Any advice in general?

Perhaps a view point I haven't considered?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

I have this one for Gage and I really like it http://www.campist.com/archives/outw...n-backpack.jpg

I also have this one and I HATE it! We only use it to pick up empty bottles and cans on our walk (we collect them for ALS and they go to our team contributions) because anything with any weight on one side and it slides down so dont get it!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nXBWpHmruI...e-backpack.jpg
Old 06-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Club Terrible - President

Ruffwear is the only brand I'd even consider. Outward Hound is crap, most other packs aren't built to distribute the weight properly.

Expensive, but very very worth it and will last for years to come.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Ruffwear is the only brand I'd even consider. Outward Hound is crap, most other packs aren't built to distribute the weight properly.

Expensive, but very very worth it and will last for years to come.
This. I researched packs a lot before deciding to buy one. Ruffwear is the clear winner. Also, fun fact: other than REI brand dog packs the only other brand they sell is Ruffwear. Likely a reason for that.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

I don't use them, because we generally hike in the summer, and I don't like the extra heat on her. I want air to circulate to her back. Also, the few times we've tried I've found that:

a) I cannot walk her on a harness with a backback, and she pulls too much on a collar while hiking
b) if I fill each side of the backpack with a bottle of water, I need to use each side evenly when using said water...otherwise it's extremely lopsided.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't use them, because we generally hike in the summer, and I don't like the extra heat on her. I want air to circulate to her back. Also, the few times we've tried I've found that:

a) I cannot walk her on a harness with a backback, and she pulls too much on a collar while hiking
b) if I fill each side of the backpack with a bottle of water, I need to use each side evenly when using said water...otherwise it's extremely lopsided.
^This evening out water is my ONLY complaint with Harlow's backpack.

We have the Ruffwear Singletrac Pack for Harlow. I'm absolutely in love. It's held up great, even got snagged by barbed wire (little brat slipped under a fence) and no scratches or tears at all! I'm saving up moneys to get Rider one as well. Perfect as it isn't too much weight, but just enough to make it a little more work. It's not bulky or floppy at all, which was one of the worries I had. Surprisingly, the fit is pretty good even with the deep chest of the Boxer. You can't fit a whole lot more than a collapsible bowl and leash in there though with the water bags full.

I did a lot of research before our purchase as well, and Ruffwear was hands down the best choice and way worth the money.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Singletrak-P...=2&category=13

Photo credit Zoom.

Photo credit Zoom. EVEN HOLDS UP TO AWESOME AUSSIE PLAY!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/