Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Long leashes ?

I know there's a thread about which long leash is best, but I have a different question. How do you keep the long leash from tangling around your dogs feet?

We got a cheap long leash for Talon when he was a puppy because the only place to exercise him is the park that is not fenced in. It worked fine when he was small, but he grew legs. So we quickly learned the goofy teenage puppy legs liked to get wrapped up in the leash. We were constantly unwrapping his legs, but after one bad incident of him hitting the end of the leash with it wrapped around his leg, we went without the leash. For a while he dragged his regular leash, as it never got wrapped around, it's not long enough. But now he just goes off-leash most of the time as he's reliable.

But it's been bugging me. How do you guys use a long leash as a safety stop in case they don't listen, but preventing them from hurting themselves by getting tangled in it? After that we have never used the long leash. I don't know if we ever will again, though I'm sure having a better leash would help.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey just learned not to be stupid and get tangled.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Nola never really got tangled in hers, but I did teach her to lift her legs out of it on cue.

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNola View Post
Nola never really got tangled in hers, but I did teach her to lift her legs out of it on cue.
I taught Art how to life his legs out of his leash, but he's a bit more sensitive. He is smart enough to slow down, think, and then untagle. Talon must just be a special kind of dumb

I guess the problem isn't the leash, it's the dog LOL
Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

The material of Tucker's doesn't tangle easily, it's one of these http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo.

But also I make sure not to leave any slack, as he moves I'm always giving leash out or wrapping it up to make sure it's almost taut. One thing it does do that's annoying is get his tail hair wrapped around it.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Top Dog

It was easier to carry cheese in my pocket and train a recall than it was to keep the long line from getting tangled. Seriously, I just gave up. That thing was awful.

If she really has to be on a long leash, I'll use a flexi.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
lol, no dog can be as awesome as Rosey.

I have 2 different leashes that I use with Hudson. I have a plain, cotton leash from ... Amazon I think. Then I got tired of that, so I took some rope we had in the basement and turned it into a leash.

But, if you have a dog that gets tangled easy, I would go with something kind of thick that can't tangle on itself. eg. I've heard with horses, if you are going to stake them out, put the line through a hose, then it won't tangle/wrap around their leg. Can't say I've done it.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Ok, guess I have to rephrase. For people who have too stupid to realize dogs, dogs who just don't care if it means slowing down, or people unwilling of taking the risk of their dogs getting hurt then

I'm not sure if Talon is just too focused/stupid to realize, or if he just didn't care if it meant he got his ball/toy/whatever, and I wasn't willing to take the risk a second time.