Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm All Ears

Default Not wanting to work in the back yard.

This has me frustrated somewhat, which I am sure is not helping.

Mia does not want to leave my porch when I try to train with her in the back yard lately. I am trying to think back but she has always been a little more ho hum in the back yard compared to elsewhere but now she just says put on the porch, doesn't want to go on the grass. I have no idea why.

She works outside at the park and at class just fine. I was thinking it could be weather related since it's much hotter and humid lately but... she's zippier at agility class. I also thought maybe it's that the grass was a little wet in the mornings (we have been going out early because of the heat).

I carried her onto the grass once and she started wanting to play but then stopped midway through our last run and just froze there. I had thought before that she was looking kind of done but decided to try one more time (bad idea). Now I'm afraid I've broken her.

I've tried coaxing with treats and balls and nothing helps. I can't recall a bad experience in the yard either. We get back inside and she's totally normal and wanting to play ball.

One other thing was she kept trying to sit in her swimming pool, which makes me wonder if it isn't the heat at least somewhat.

Argh confusing dog.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Kim is like that. In her case it's because this area is for pottying NOT for working...mixing the two is gross gross gross.

Doesn't matter how perfectly the spot is picked up. Diva, lol.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm All Ears

I have wondered if that was the case. She works FINE in my dad's old back yard. But I've only ever worked with her outside the main potty fence.

It would just be nice not to have to take up my weaves every day and haul them to the park. But it's seeming to stress her trying to work the weaves in the yard. She will go to the porch and refuse to leave and start stress yawning if I try to coax her on the grass. But she will go on the grass if we are not working!

Baffling little dog.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Could she have gotten stung or something? I had a dog that REFUSED to go outside the back way because of that for months...
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Kim is like that. In her case it's because this area is for pottying NOT for working...mixing the two is gross gross gross.

Doesn't matter how perfectly the spot is picked up. Diva, lol.
Same here xD, mine dot want to train in the "potty yard" either. Take them out to the field though & it's like the heat is forgotten ... Silly dogs.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Maybe the poop paw incident has made her decide that she is officially done working in the potty area?

Would you want to try making a potty corner so the yard remains clean? I know that seems like a lot when it might not even be the poop that's causing it... But your yard would stay cleaner too! LOL.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Twin 2

Traveler does this, I actually have a thread about it just like this one. Turned out to be the poop offended him
Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm All Ears

Well I'm glad it's not just my little weird dog. It is going to mean we'll have to travel to work our weaves because I need to work them a lot outside of class (my dogs don't get weaves at all).

She gets me to the point where I am worried about her being hurt/sick then we get inside and she's like 'WHEEEEEEE! LET'S PLAY!'

She will go through her tricks with enthusiasm on the porch. I am wondering if I can gradually get her to forget that the grass is icky?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia IS the dog that screams and cries whenever poop 'attacks' her butt or paw. About a month ago she stepped on poop in the yard and you;d have thought she'd been bitten by something. I thought she had been seriously injured because she was wailing so bad. Nope. Poop stuck to her paw.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie is a diva too and thinks a potty place is no place for playing or training. I need to get a wagon to take our jumps and stuff to the park lol.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug