Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Big Dog

Default Is your dog normal for it's type?

So, wasn't sure where to post it and I know we have some really interesting dogs here.

If you've got a dog that has a type, do you think your dog is normal?

My girls are what I'd consider energetic for a corgi. Miz Naughty is on the higher-drive end of the scale and is shepherd like in temperament. She's intense lol My pup, Lil Sis, is much softer and much more of a lap dog. She has some intensity, but for sure not like her mom.

I'd say mine are friendlier then most Cardigans, though. They never meet a stranger and immediately roll over for belly rubs when meeting new people. Honestly, it's a bit shameful lol

I feel that both of mine are pretty bright, too. I think that's average for Cardigans, because almost every one I've met looks like they're possibly scheming. Crazy like a fox is how I'd describe them <3

As far as watch dogs go, both of mine have ears like satelites and will not hesitate to let you know when someone is at the door. They may not be BIG dogs, but I'd probably think twice about entering a home with two dogs that sounded that pissed off.

Then of course, they meet the person, and it's belly rub time.

I'd like to say that my dogs would never bite anybody. But, I don't know how they'd react if they were startled.

Surprises; all dogs get startled sometimes. I'd say my dogs are...weird. Like Miz Naughty FLIPS OUT when she encounters fire hydrants. I have no idea why. Yet, have crazy baby toys going off all the time and a toddler scooting around and all the craziness of my house and she doesn't bat an eye. Same with my puppy.

Other pets- I think it would be a real problem to try to introduce a cat into the house. Same for bunnies, birds, or anything like that. I think if a pup were raised with them, you would probably be fine. But once they realize that rodents can be prey, it's all over. Cardigans can be kinda feral when it comes to catching poor little animals. :-(

Kids- If raised carefully with kids, Cardigans can be really awesome family dogs. But, I think that maybe compared with a spaniel you'd see a difference. Sometimes, they're just not as tolerant.

Mine are really good with kids. I'm pretty proud of that, actually. Both just really patient and more then that, they enjoy the baby. Especially the puppy. I have a feeling that Lil Sis and Little Buddy are going to be inseperable.

One person dogs- Cardigans tend to bond strongly to one person, and that's their person pretty much for life. I think that because of that, it takes them longer to acclimate to changes in their owner. Miz Naughty and I have been through alot together. For sure. We've moved all over the place; we're nomads! But, we're also best friends and she never had a problem changing environments.

She's *clearly* my dog. Lil Sis belongs to the baby, heart and soul. She is open and sweet and cuddly and tolerant of him in the way that she's not for me and my husband.

So, I've rambled enough lol what about your dogs? Or even if they don't have a type, what are they like in different situations? What do you like? What would you change?

I have to say that if I could change anything, it would be to tone down their reactivity. I don't mean reactivity really, but THEY NOTICE EVERYTHING. I like them to be alert, but they're almost hyper about it. Soooo if you don't like /omgwhatisthatbarkbarkbark then maybe a corgi is not for you

I love 'em. I do. lol
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Well, Abrams is a retriever. He doesn't retrieve and also doesn't love food.

I think he's broken. LOL

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Completely no.

I feel like when people think 'yorkie' they either automatically assume yappy ankle biter, or purse puppy.

Jackson has a high pitched bark, and he's an alerter for sure, but he's not 'yappy' if that makes sense.

He would never stand for being placed into a stroller or a purse.

He is obsessed with water and diving and retrieving. I call him my Yorkshire Retriever.

He's really easy to train, and was with everything (potty training, obedience, agility, tricks, etc).

He's also good with kids. He's not a Golden Retriever, but he will let kids approach and pet him, and he enjoys doing tricks for them, etc.

He is very active and not a lap dog whatsoever.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yup, Arnold and Shamoo are both very typical of pit bulls and Backup and Sloan are typical for Belgian Malinois.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Kiba is what I believe a Miniature Schnauzer should be.
Stryder has somebehaviors/tendencies that should get his Schnauzer card revoked, but for the most part he's spot on.

Lincoln is a typical Miniature Poodle, though I have not heard of any that are as naughty as he.

And Charlie is 100% Colliewog!!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, I don't know if my Dobermans are or not. They seem to be for the most part, and they're definitely very typical of my breeder's dogs. But I feel like my dogs are less sharp and way more dog tolerant than other peoples' Dobermans, and also not very focused for a working breed. Focus is something that I've battled with both of them since forever, and I feel like for the type of dog they are there just should be naturally more and more biddability. I don't know if this is a Doberman thing or just a thing of my Dobermans though. In any regard, I wasn't really expecting it and I thought it was just a Keira thing until we got Ripley, who is pretty much the same in that aspect. But there are so many different lines and 'types' of Dobes out there too, so it's hard to say whether mine are typical or not of the entire breed... and most of my Dobe experience has been with dogs related to mine too, whom are all pretty similar.

Dance is not typical of a good Toller in some ways, but she's still not what I'd call A-typical unfortunately either as I've met and heard about others very similar to her. She's very people insecure/reactive (surprise barks - is not aggressive), which is not how a Toller should be, but some are. In all other regards though, I'd say she's fairly typical of a Toller. She's happy, she's playful, she's goofy, pretty easy to train, willing to try anything, focused, etc. She seems more laid back than many and doesn't have nearly as much endurance as I'd like, though. She enjoys activity and gives it her personal best, but I thought she'd be much more on the go and driven prior to getting her. I watch other Tollers do things and Dance just... lacks, somehow. My Flyball team mates commented at our last tournament that Dance just kind of happily prances and tap dances her way through life where as the other Toller that was there was way more about the job and focused on the task at hand in a more serious (but still playful) way. But, I love her anyway and wouldn't trade her for the world!

Journey I think is fairly typical for a show/performance bred Aussie. The only thing that's surprised me about her is just how friendly she is, but otherwise she's pretty spot on for all of the good traits I've ever read or been told about. She's very high energy with a fabulous off switch, eager to learn, willing to please, super quick learner, playful, happy, very driven, etc. Oh, and I guess the other thing that surprises me is that while I knew Aussies were velcro dogs and liked to be with you, I had no idea that they were so cuddly and affectionate. I don't even know if that's an Aussie thing or not though, or just a family trait. But yeah, all in all I'd say that yes, she's typical. But she's my first and only so far, and I've only been around a handful of others for long enough to get to know them decently. In all honestly, if I took her breed and looks out of the equation, she also pretty well matches the description of the other breed I was going to get. So while I think she's growing into a very typical Aussie, I think she's also maybe just a very typical herding breed puppy, breed aside. I don't know. I just know she's awesome and I haven't really been surprised about any of her traits so far, except the cuddly part and the super friendly part.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM

Last edited by Toller_08; 06-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 PM
orange iguanas.

For the most part yes, Juno is a very typical boxer. 'Tis why I love her. I think the only part of her that is super atypical is her stranger phobia. Most boxers are best friends with everyone they meet. Juno will be best friends with you.... if she gets to know you first and you convince her you're safe. Then you can be biffles with her.

She's goofy and smart and stubborn, loyal and protective, bursting at the seams with energy, an excellent bomb-proof family dog.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Twin 2.0

Sawyer is spot on, I feel. Ready to go all day long if that's what the occasion calls for, totally cool to just hang out all day too. Great patio dog. Super happy with his people, loves to control movement and is reserved with new people. If he takes to someone quickly, he'll go lean up against their legs, but he's not the "OMG RUN SAY HI BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE" that I've seen out of a lot of show/pet-bred Aussies. He's never very far away from me if he can help it. Very protective of me as well. He's nearly nailed my bf a few times when my bf thinks it's funny to pounce on me while I'm laying down and Nolu had to physically hold him back from jumping off our 3rd story balcony one day when a neighborbitch decided to pick a fight with me after I pulled a stray dog away from her horrid little chi.

I'm really rather nervous about getting another Aussie, because he's set such a high bar of expectation.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm All Ears

Summer is pretty classic for a papillon. She is very friendly with people, loudmouthed, very stable and confident, loves to train, super biddable, intelligent, fast, athletic, happy, easily excited, cuddly and affectionate, quirky, and very handler oriented. Beau and Nard are also in this spectrum, although Nard is MUCH calmer than the other two and a little more hard headed. Beau is hyper but not in the same way as Summer. Summer's a little bit more excited-hyper and is very springy whereas Beau (especially younger) was just all over the place hyper. His grandpa was the same way, just darting everywhere all the time.

Mia is not unusual but she's on the reactive and sharp end of the spectrum. She's still capable of working through fears but she's much more concerned about things and is a not-stranger friendly dog at all. She does not like being touched by strangers. Environmental things also bother her more than other paps. Her energy level is pretty high but I think it's more that Mia lacks an off switch (or at least a good one). She is very busy and demanding and needs a lot more consistency to get her to settle down in the house. She will not be lazy all day, still at 4 years old. She needs some decent exercise every single day. She also has a lot more edge.... I'm not sure how to describe it but a level of intensity most paps don't have. She is no faster on the course than Summer but Mia's one of those dogs that tenses and shakes when she's raring to go whereas most paps seem to just be all 'oh yay this is fun!' But she's still very affectionate, very happy, trainable, biddable, exiciteable, etc. I think she and Summer overlap quite a bit even though they are very different in their tolerance for strangers. I have met other papillons much like Mia so she's not a complete anomaly by any means.

Rose is the far opposite of Mia. She is very low drive, and exceptionally low energy for the breed. She's just a lot quiet than most paps are. She could go forever without exercising, just wants to be lying on her pillow. She's also a lot more aloof than the others and is the only one that doesn't spend her day following a human around 24/7. She's also very meek, kind of timid, finicky, gentle... I don't meet many paps like her. She was cut from the breeder's program for temperament. She is a GREAT dog and the easiest one to keep as a pet. She's most peoples' favorite when they meet them all. But not normal for the breed.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Professional Nerd

Grant? Yes. Stan? He's not incorrect, but you don't see a lot of Malinois with the bubbly, outgoing personally of a golden.