Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Default What breeds?

Ok, I already have plans for what Nextdog will be but I was just curious what breeds come to mind when I describe this:

- Size doesn't matter for this really. <50 lbs?
- coat doesn't matter
- Energy level- moderate to high with great off switch. Puts in a lot of effort when need be but also is totally cool to sleep part of the day.
- Extremely high biddability and desire to work with you.
- Some sort of high useable drive (for us it's food but could be anything. Doesn't need to be mal level or anything. But at any rate a dog that is easily motivated)
- Extremely people friendly. Very outgoing that way.
- very athletic/likes to jump.
- Very suited to agility training/fast. (essentially lightly built)
- dog friendliness- not necessarily a dog park dog but can live peacefully with other dogs easily
- relatively sensitive personality. But also very confident. I am not sure if I am wording that correctly. Not a very hard or sharp kind of dog?
- Very confident with surroundings and new things. Takes everything in stride. Maybe not as prone to needing such extensive socialization like Mia does and a lot of breeds I like do.
-Happy/up personality. Easily excited, lol. I guess some would say just a touch hyper.
- Extremely handler oriented/velcro

Bonus: toy drive and likes water (which is a trait I don't have at the moment lol)

I know a lot of that is training and socialization but I was just curious what breeds you'd think of... There's a lot I like about Summer and training her. I think I always need a more 'complicated' dog like Mia to live with but there's also definitely something to be said for a dog like Summer who is just... easy as can be. She's so confident in everything and never really over the top but always wanting to work and work hard. She's happy go lucky and totally straightforward. Much as I like my bratdogs, I would definitely sign up for another Summer-type personality too. I think I will always want one more complex dog to train and then one that's not so much socialization/work. I find that balances out pretty well.

I guess the obvious answer is another papillon since Summer is pretty classic pap in temperament but was wondering if anything else came to mind... particularly something a little bigger in size.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Aware

Field lab?

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

I mean, the obvious is the right border collie...but you knew that

I train with a lady who has two wirehaired pointing griffons. Bigger than you're looking for, but one of them fits your description quite nicely. The other is a bit dog snarky. They are biddable jumping machines though.

I also train with a whole bunch of vizlas who do extremely well at agility, so long as they have the right owner (who is willing to make the game reinforcing with treats/toys...). The ones whose handlers aren't good at rewarding get a "screw you" and the dog is on the other side of the field.

One of my good friends has a GSP. Again, a bit larger than you wanted, but WOW does he have drive and jumping skills! There are 2 others who train at our facility, and all three of them are quite talented.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I mean, the obvious is the right border collie...but you knew that

I train with a lady who has two wirehaired pointing griffons. Bigger than you're looking for, but one of them fits your description quite nicely. The other is a bit dog snarky. They are biddable jumping machines though.

I also train with a whole bunch of vizlas who do extremely well at agility, so long as they have the right owner (who is willing to make the game reinforcing with treats/toys...). The ones whose handlers aren't good at rewarding get a "screw you" and the dog is on the other side of the field.

One of my good friends has a GSP. Again, a bit larger than you wanted, but WOW does he have drive and jumping skills! There are 2 others who train at our facility, and all three of them are quite talented.
I've never met a griff, but have had people suggest them before. I will admit I am a little bit nervous with sporting breeds because I think of them as being a lot more frantic and needing physical energy outlets vs breeds needing mental energy outlets. I am much more used to (and I think suited for) the latter. No real experience with vizsla either but one of the other trainers has a young one. I'll have to watch it as she trains it.

My trainer always is saying Summer reminds her of a border collie. In some ways she does but I find she's a lot more even keeled than most BCs and a lot more up and happy go lucky. And definitely not as driven as most BCs. It's of course an idea I've had on my mind for a while and probably a very likely choice for one of my next couple dogs.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I've never met a griff, but have had people suggest them before. I will admit I am a little bit nervous with sporting breeds because I think of them as being a lot more frantic and needing physical energy outlets vs breeds needing mental energy outlets. I am much more used to (and I think suited for) the latter. No real experience with vizsla either but one of the other trainers has a young one. I'll have to watch it as she trains it.

My trainer always is saying Summer reminds her of a border collie. In some ways she does but I find she's a lot more even keeled than most BCs and a lot more up and happy go lucky. And definitely not as driven as most BCs. It's of course an idea I've had on my mind for a while and probably a very likely choice for one of my next couple dogs.
I think a lot of gundogs are just as happy being mentally challenged as they are physically! The only thing I would say, is they can be a bit thick headed. They are often used to being very far away from their handler, so can be independent and stubborn. Vislas are (to my knowledge) considered softer than gsp.

I don't think a gsp would have the trainer focus... It's the one thing I do miss in Freddie, he does nothing unless there is something in it for him, you have to get his attention with something, or you're screwed.

Vizla might be a good choice though, and a bitch would be quite small and light.

Honestly though, if you want to do dog sports, there's a reason herders are picked over a lot of gundogs!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I think a lot of gundogs are just as happy being mentally challenged as they are physically! The only thing I would say, is they can be a bit thick headed. They are often used to being very far away from their handler, so can be independent and stubborn. Vislas are (to my knowledge) considered softer than gsp.
Yes. Sometimes Penn will sit/stay& when I ask for movement, she just sits there looking at me like ..nope. Especially if it's after I've corrected her for breaking the stay. The independence is there for sure& the handler focus took a long time to get ..and still leaves swiftly should a bird fly overhead. Vizslas are generally super soft for sure.

I don't think a gsp would have the trainer focus... It's the one thing I do miss in Freddie, he does nothing unless there is something in it for him, you have to get his attention with something, or you're screwed.
Penn had to actually learn this skill.. I would say I still reward most things about 80% of the time (not basics like sit, down, paw ..the easy ones aha) and that seems to keep her paying attention ..but only because she's waiting for a reward not because she has a true deep love to please me LOL She's a velcro dog but in a very odd way. She needs to be able to always have my location but she doesn't always need to be NEAR me. If I leave her, all hell breaks loose. If she leaves me, I better be where she can find me when she checks back in!

Vizla might be a good choice though, and a bitch would be quite small and light.
Penn is about 22.25 inches at the shoulder& 44lbs. A little taller than Briar& the same weight. She's a tiny little thing and basically on springs! She jumps MUCH cleaner than B.

Honestly though, if you want to do dog sports, there's a reason herders are picked over a lot of gundogs!!
And this. Penn was purchased to be my snuggle bunny& running partner. She is excelling at both those jobs ..agility came after we had our breeder with 6wk old puppies. I wouldn't change that decision but my next dog will be a Border, Kelpie, Sheltie, etc!

*My thoughts are in bold but the pretty much just match pace for pace Dizzy. I only know 2 GSPs& they are both neurotic rescues who bark constantly at shadows so I can't speak for them LOL
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm All Ears

I've thought golden maybe . We had a field lab growing up and he was cool but there's just something about labs that doesn't quite mesh with me. The goldens I know are a little bit softer in personality, I think. And that suits me a bit better. The labs I know that have the 'get up and go' I like also seem a bit scatterbrained and all over the place.

Summer manages to be very gregarious and also very focused, which I like. I should mention that Summer is also one of those exceedingly responsible dogs. I'm sure that's more of a personality trait though than a breed trait. Mia is about the opposite of responsible.

Then again I'm just not sure if a retriever is right for me at all.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Spaniels come to my mind when reading this list. But I'm not really a 'spaniel' person so I could be totally off base here.

But Brittany Spaniel, Springer, Boykin, or a Field Spaniel, kind of popped into my head. Also, maybe a Toller?

Also, yep, that list definitely shouts Golden to me too.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Aussies are another breed that has been on the list for a while. The plan has been for my next two dogs to be some combination of pyrshep (fill my complicated and wild quota) and then aussie or bc.

I have noticed a lot of variety in aussies though like you have. Some hit the nail almost right on the head and then others go too far one way or another. I know a few that are really really boisterous and quite a few with dog issues and then others that are overly sensitive and afraid. I love those middle dogs though. I've also wondered if an English shepherd would be a better fit although I think drive would be an issue with them probably. Drive is an issue in a lot of the aussies too. But the right ones are SO good....

Britts are another I've thought about but they seem very very high energy in that sporting dog way and I'm not sure... But they're an idea I've had for sure.

I know nothing about spaniels other than papillons at all. I like welsh springers from what I've seen but the ones I've met are a LOT calmer than what I'd like. I'll admit my limited experience with English springers has not been great so even though I've had them suggested before I haven't really considered them. A lot of the spaniels I see running agility don't seem near as handler focused as I'm used to either. I know that's probably training but I see a lot of nose on the ground in the middle of the ring. A lot of motivation issues too and not as much drive as I want.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Add three pounds to your weight req and you just described Mira.

Although your "bonus" features are central to her personality, not

Also on the high end of your energy req, but mental games take the edge off if you can't get out. Self-entertains well (and appropriately).

And she's not really a dog to bounce around greeting people, though she's quite happy to get attention if offered. Unless she is working or might soon get to work...then non-essential people cease to exist.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13