Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Active Pup

Default Vet refusing to fill prescription

I am so mad at the vet I was trying I can barely see straight. When I got my new dog I took him in for shots, heartworm test, and microchipping. When the vet walked in he immediately put me off by asking why I would crop my dogs ears, and was I just trying to make him look mean? The dog's ears were cropped when I got him, and cane corsos ears are commonly cropped anyway. Then he was rough with my dog and had to muzzle him because Rugaru didn't take well to the manhandling. Left the vet and went online to order flea/tick treatment and heartworm pills. The company faxed the vet 3 times, twice through an automated service and once by hand. The clinic first said that they didn't receive the fax, then that the fax machine was broken, and when I called today the vet himself told me he won't sign for prescriptions to be filled anywhere but with him as he is cheaper. I advised him of the price I was paying online, and the vet said they couldn't and wouldn't meet or beat the price but also wouldn't allow it to be filled anywhere else. I should be able to get the prescriptions for my dog filled wherever I want to. I took the records all down to my normal vet that is now back in the office and advised them of what happened. Now I have reordered the pills and they will be filled by my normal vet. I will NEVER go back to the other vet. My sister took her pit bull to him previously and had an issue as well. He told her he didn't understand why anyone would have a pit bull they were good for nothing and should all be put down. If I had known that previously I wouldn't have gone to him for Rugaru. I don't appreciate breed stereotypes and prejudices. I just had to vent. Has anyone else ever had a vet refuse to fill a prescription if it's ordered through someone else?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM
such sights to show you

In many states it's actually not legal for a veterinarian to refuse to give you a written prescription if you ask for it. In addition to being really poor way to treat people IMO.

(Not that you can demand they write random prescriptions for whatever you want, but in this type of situation where they already are prescribing a medication.)

Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, my vet won't don prescriptions for other places either. I love almost everything about her, except that. So far though she really has price matched.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Active Pup

MO is actually one of the states that they have to provide the prescription by law, but if he refuses I can't technically myself make him. However, I can turn him in to the state veterinary medical board.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

Seriously?! What a crappy business mindset. Either lose the immediate purchase of meds through you or lose a long term client. Pretty sure I would lose the immediate purchase anytime.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
orange iguanas.

There's a local clinic here that will not authorize prescriptions to online pharmacies. I have no idea what their stance is on people wanting meds filled from like Target or Costco etc - I just know they don't do the online pet pharmacies.

Personally that wouldn't bug me since it had never even crossed my mind to get meds from somewhere other than my vet's office, until my last vet insisted that I get Juno's Prozac from a human pharmacy so that I wouldn't have to pay as much.

But clearly there are other issues with this vet.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

At the clinic where I worrk, we will NOT sign papers we get through the fax - but we are more than happy to give people a written script they can mail in.

Our one exception is Trifexis. Trifexis is only sold through vets, so if any other place is selling it, they're doing so illegally/the product was obtained illegally/it's counterfeit product. So we will not give or authorize external scripts for that.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Never had it happen before but I did have one receptionist act like it was a BIG DEAL when I asked if I could get it filled elsewhere. "Is there a PROBLEM getting it from us?" "Only that you're forty minutes away and if I don't have to drive all the way there to get it that would save me an hour and a half of my time." Scoff scoff, bitch bitch. Oooookay.

You might check your state's laws with the AVMA and see if it's illegal for them to refuse in your state. Some states also have laws saying they can't charge you a fee for writing it but not all.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog