Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Default Healthy balanced diet

I want to lose weight, and eat healthy (no extremes like no carbs, or 500 calories a day). I want to eat a healthy number of calories and a good variety of the food groups.

An example of what I'm looking for would be: 2 grains, 3 proteins, 2 dairy, 3 fruits, 5 vegetables, etc, etc. (I just made up those numbers because I don't know how many is healthy.) Also, healthy eating tips such as: stick to whole grain, limit dairy, no processed foods, blah blah blah.

What does your healthy diet look like?

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Very few grains period. The grains I do eat on a rare basis are rice (typically well digested by everybody) and some corn (can't take the Midwest out of the girl.) No wheat, whole or otherwise.

Meat. Make sure you're not buying meat that is loaded up with additives, nitrates, artificial colouring - it's disgusting the stuff they put in packaged meats. Pick up a bag of sliced deli meat sometime, gross.

Actual veggies, not other stuff masquerading as a veggie. Corn is a grain. Potatoes are legumes.

Fruit is fine as long as you aren't totally overloading on it. It's natural sugar but it's still sugar. I don't worry too much about it but it's something to be aware of. http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/

Avoid sugar, especially if it's been added to stuff that it shouldn't be (seriously, dried fruit is sweet enough on the merits of it's natural fructose. It really doesn't need sugar added to it.)

Some dairy as long as it doesn't make you feel bad after eating/drinking it. Go for the real, full-fat stuff.

Nuts too.

Basically, read ingredient lists. If you don't know what all those things are on it, you shouldn't eat it. If you know what that chemical is, then think really hard about if you should still eat it. You want to put REAL food into your body. I'm not saying you have to go all organic or anything, but once you actually start reading labels and realizing how much crap is in so much of our food, including "healthy" packaged foods (ever read the ingredients to a Smart Ones frozen meal? GROSS.) it really changes your whole perspective.

Also, I know some people claim "oh calories totally don't matter as long as it's REAL FOOD!" Yes, yes they do. You still need to be aware of how much and what you're putting in your body. It's hard to overeat when you're shoveling in lots of meat and veggies but people certainly do it. An absentminded fistful of nuts three or four times a day will add up.
Here's a BMR calculator to get you a good picture of how many calories you should shoot for every day:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

As for carbs, I actually eat fewer carbs now eating real food than when I was eating "low carb." Average is sub-50 a day. If it doesn't happen naturally just keep an eye on them, shoot for 100-150. This loops back to the natural sugars in fruit type of thing.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Crazy Dog!

I'd say overall you need to count calories and meet your macro goals (protein, carbs, fat). MEASURE everything. Don't just guess on an ounce of nuts, measure it on a kitchen scale.

If you work, pack your own lunch. Every day. Do not eat in the cafeteria, or go out to lunch. You cannot eat out healthy. If you manage to stay under your calorie goal, you'll still be ingesting way too much sodium or sugar.

Eating out should be reserved for once a week and try boxing up half of your meal before you start eating. Avoid appetizers, chips/salsa, and bread. It's all filler. Chips are fried corn basically and almost all bread at restaurants is just white flour and crap.

Really monitor what you drink. Coffee? That's cool, until you add sugar and creamer etc. Read the label on CoffeeMate coffee creamer, corn syrup galore. I use half and half only. No artificial sweeteners or sugars. Drink with artificial sweeteners have (potentially) been linked to sugar cravings. I was using MIO in my water, but started developing really bad afternoon headaches. My headaches were making me tired and I was skipping the gym a lot. I cut out the MIO and now I buy fresh lemons and squeeze them into my water instead. No more headaches. One margarita at a restaurant can have upwards of 600 calories or more. Beers are usually about 100 calories each and a shot is the same; around 100 calories.

Get an app like MyFitnessPal. Track your calories. Everything you put in your mouth.

Be prepared to spend one day a week organizing and cooking meals. We do a whole crockpot chicken sometimes and then use the meat throughout the week on different things. You can do chicken salad, tacos, sandwiches etc. Processed lunch meat is full of salt.

I'd say the biggest thing is measuring your servings.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thanks guys!! I've tried so many "diets". I've been doing Atkins (or something close to it at least) up until today when I finally decided I was sick of it because it just doesn't seem healthy and it's not really working. The artificial sweeteners are giving me headaches and I've been having bad stomachaches for days now.

I know that exercise is the main thing I need to add into my daily life. I just have a lot of back problems and have developed some knee/hip problems as well (surely related to my weight) and it keeps me from exercising. But we are cleaning out our pool this weekend and I am planning to do at least 2 hours in the mornings swimming (not just lounging but actually moving around) and possibly some at night when I get off work. Swimming is really the only exercise I can do right now. I had a membership at the rec center and was swimming 3 or 4 times a week (for about 2 hours a day) for a while there and it was paying off. My membership expired though and it's expensive.

When you say tacos and sandwiches what kind of bread and tortillas are you using?

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Crazy Dog!

My husband is the only one who really eats bread anymore. I don;t eat the sandwiches, but I buy whole wheat bread for him.

When we do tacos I put all of my taco insides (meat, cheese, guacamole, salsa, beans, whatever) into a bowl and I eat it with no tortilla.

I went low carb a while back and while I'm not necessarily low carb anymore I never felt the need to add much bread back into my life. If I felt like eating a sandwich I'd probably put the shredded chicken into a bowl and add some shredded cheese and tomatoes, lettuce and maybe put a smidge of mustard on top and eat it with a fork.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Crazy Dog!

Also, (I should think before I hit submit) homemade tortillas are easy. Just google "easy home made tortillas" and you'll get 1000 recipes. Just make it with whole wheat flour, no sugar, and fry it in a little coconut oil.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
The artificial sweeteners are giving me headaches and I've been having bad stomachaches for days now.
One of the main reasons I quit doing "low carb." I was at the grocery store and realized what the low carbers wanted me to put in my body was artificial sweeteners, and what they DIDN'T want me to put in my body was a BANANA because it was too many carbs... nope... something was wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
When you say tacos and sandwiches what kind of bread and tortillas are you using?
For me, a sandwich now is just the layers of meat and other goodies without the bread. Breakfast sandwiches are two sausage patties with eggs and bacon between them. I eat sausages or bratwurst (the local Amish make some **** good cheddar brats!!) just by slicing them up and eating them, usually with a slice of pepperjack or something layered on top. I just got myself some ham last night and I'm going to basically make a sandwich roll-up.
For tortillas you can basically make a big flat fried egg and wrap your stuff up in the egg wrapper. Nom!

Gluten free packaged breads are typically loaded with sugar and the ones you make at home are often full of stuff that isn't really any better for me. But I have sworn that one day I'm just going to buy myself a sourdough gluten free sandwich roll and eat ALL THE SANDWICHES. Just one time haha.

I live by an 80-20 rule though mostly I'm pretty 100%. If I eat something that isn't "approved" I make a conscious decision to do so. Like I bought mini cupcakes for Payton's birthday and decided I wanted to eat one. It was not a OMG I FELL OF THE WAGON I RUINED EVERYTHING!! I just decided to eat one, even though I knew all the sugar and wheat in it would likely make my stomach hurt (and holy wow did it haha.) I never eat anything "bad" and then bemoan it later because I make sure EVERYTHING I eat I have decided to eat. Sort of like what Eddie said about being deliberate.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

I eat tons of fruit and veggies. For me, it helps to go ahead and splurge a little on them because then I'll actually eat them. English cucumbers are about twice as expensive as a regular one, but they're twice as delicious, too. Bell peppers are $4/bag for the tiny ones, but potato chips are $3, and which would I rather eat? I don't try to cut carbs, but my boyfriend has been for a while (and is down 25lbs! His goal is to lose 100lbs by Christmas, so I think he's going to do it) and he doesn't use fake sweeteners at all; he just doesn't eat wheat, corn, added sugar, or rice. He does a lot of smoothies (with berries, banana, chocolate, greek yogurt--all kinds of stuff) because he likes sweets. He does lettuce wraps, and eats a lot of eggs. We both eat more veggies (in terms of volume) than anything else.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

I recently bought these tortillas:
http://www.latortillafactory.com/products-3.aspx

You can get them at Costco. They don't taste as nice as a regular tortilla but they do the job. I tried making egg/cauliflower tortillas and was not impressed.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

For me it's easy, real foods, limit grains to a couple times a week, not daily intake. Lots of fresh veggies and some fruit mostly berries. meat, a serving about the size of my fist 3-4 times per day and lots of coconut oil in smoothies and foods like almonds and avocados

If it comes in a box or a can it is highly unlikely we eat it. Some stuff sure at times, but not a regular part of our diet.