Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Is addiction to diet-coke.. a thing?

ok, I have epilepsy so I'm supposed to cut out all caffeine and general bad stuff.. including my usual diet-coke fix, which I did! for months.

Recently because of finals and coke products being available for free in the library, I have kind of gotten back on them but it's been over a week of trying to stop drinking them and it's..difficult!

I was never a soda drinker as a child-teen (we weren't allowed) this all started in college so WHAT GIVES?! I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to stop drinking them!
Especially when it comes to diet coke, more-so than the epilepsy, I know it's bad for me. I KNOW. And yet.. especially during study sessions (/times of stress) and late afternoon sleepies, I find myself just wanting one really really really bad.

Well this evening, I haven't had one in about 2 days..and all of a sudden I was like I NEED ONE, NOTHING ELSE WOULD SUFFICE! I actually put pants on and walked to CVS right now to go get one! INSANITY!

People keep telling me I need to treat it like an addiction lol but is that even possible? I mean.. it's not a drug!
and more-so..how do you think I should go about quitting long term?

Any healthy bubbly substitutes? I drink plenty of water, I eat pretty healthy (I juice veggies, avoid processed, lots of fruit, lean meat only, no dairy)
SO WHY WHY WHY IS THIS LAST STUPID THING SO HARD TO KICK?! ITS JUST BUBBLY SUGAR!!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Club Terrible - President

BJ's seltzer water. Fo realz. Tastes just like soda.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Obey the Toad.

Well, addiction to caffeine is definitely a thing! My doctor wants me to get off it to help my anxiety symptoms but I am having the hardest time--it was easier to quit smoking!

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
orange iguanas.

Hahah well there is sugar addiction, which is actually very similar to cocaine or heroin addictions because it stimulates the same part of the brain

I have no help for you though because I have had a strong love for Dr. Pepper for the last 10 years or so. Nothing makes me more disappointed than wanting a DP, only to find out that we have none in the house. And yep, I have went and made special trips to buy some because I NEED IT NOW.

The difference is that I have no desire to break up with the Dr.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

I'm convinced it's an addiction. Not even kidding, if I haven't had one of the energy drinks I like in about 24 hours, the first sip is like...fireworks and happy/elated feelings. There's definitely a brain related thing that happens with it.

I wasn't allowed sodas much as a kid either, I wonder if it being a 'taboo' did it to me.

I finally found a flavored sparkling water I like, Sparkling Ice (sold at Walmart). I'm kind of amazed it tastes this good being zero calories. I'd like to just do mainly water but I will start with the sparkling waters.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm completely addicted to regular coke.... drink it EVERY day... sometimes a few of them every day. I quit for a couple months and then one day I got a fountain coke for Josh and decided to take one sip.... and then one more sip.... because coke.

Now I just can't seem to make myself stop again.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Top Dog

It's got caffeine... I'm pretty sure you can be addicted.

I don't know if I'm addicted but I can't stay up late without it. I get the afternoon sleepies and I hold them off until evening and then I'm dead lol it's a bit pathetic. Thank god for Coke Zero otherwise I would probably weigh an extra 100 lbs or so lol.

BTW I just looked it up and Coke Zero has 96 mg of caffeine while Diet Coke has 128 mg... maybe wean yourself off with Coke Zero? (I think it's better tasting anyways )
Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Hahah well there is sugar addiction, which is actually very similar to cocaine or heroin addictions because it stimulates the same part of the brain

I have no help for you though because I have had a strong love for Dr. Pepper for the last 10 years or so. Nothing makes me more disappointed than wanting a DP, only to find out that we have none in the house. And yep, I have went and made special trips to buy some because I NEED IT NOW.

The difference is that I have no desire to break up with the Dr.
Same with me, Got.To.Have.That Dr.P. That ranks right up there with the mornings coffee.
Fran I wish I had words of advice on how to stop but umm well I'm still drinking my pop. I don't know if it would help but could you get the caffeine free version. Not sure if that would be better or what.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Original Twin

Fran! You live in Boston, get yourself some Polar seltzer. No calories, naturally flavored and no oogy chemicals. The mint mojito one is super good and it might be out now since its seasonal.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Ugh. Pop addictions are the WORST. I'm struggling with this as well. College and living on my own did me in.

I've found that drinking bottled water helps a ton, and I didn't even like water to start with. I found that trying to quit cold turkey made it a lot worse. I would have bad cravings, bad headaches, and when I would go back to pop, I would binge bad. So, I make daily goals to not drink that day, and then treat myself the next with a can. I don't keep pop at the house, and I keep away from all of the fountain soda machines. I am now down to a pop every two days.

I haven't found anything that is a good substitute. I don't like flavored waters or carbonated waters, but if you do, the carbonated water may help...

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/