Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Real estate..would you do it? advice?

well, as those who are friends with me on facebook know, my apartment building has decided to put up my rent about 60%.. making it unjustifiable for me to live in a shoebox for that much money per month lol basically, so I'm moving.
I have a friend I'm moving with and we have been looking at 2 bedrooms and having trouble but recently found a place that is interesting where there are 2 bedrooms available..the catch?

It's a 5 bedroom home, with 3 people already living there.

PROS:
- Rent is WAY WAY low. Place is rent controlled and they have been there for 4 years (It's less than half of what I'm paying now)
- The people are nice (young professionals, students)
- Rules are clear and place is big enough to easily fit that many people
- Free laundry
- Two full bathrooms
- Place is kept very clean
- Hardwood/marble floors
- They are dog friendly and would happily accept Merlin

CONS
- Holy crap it's 5 people in one home.

Should I take the leap? would you? have you lived with that many people?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Taxiderpy

I have, and would do it again if the the roommates were all nice reasonable people. How long have the individual folks lived there? If they've all been together for a while that means they're probably laid back enough to all coexist without much drama.

Do they have any contractual stuff to make sure chores are taken care of without anybody getting an undue burden? Do you share bathrooms or have a private one?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I have, and would do it again if the the roommates were all nice reasonable people. How long have the individual folks lived there? If they've all been together for a while that means they're probably laid back enough to all coexist without much drama.

Do they have any contractual stuff to make sure chores are taken care of without anybody getting an undue burden? Do you share bathrooms or have a private one?
They have lived together for about 2 1/2 years and everyone seems to get along!

They have a chore chart system.. not sure if it's contractual though, I'd have to ask!
Not sure about the bathroom situation, another great question I'll have to ask. I know there are two full bathrooms but I'm not sure how it's separated or who uses which.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Sounds good to me! How easily can you get out if things go south? The onyl thing I would worry about it them spoiling Merlin, but if they'll respect rules/he'll be with you most of the time, it should be workable.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I have lived with three other people but not four. In college. It went...okay. One of them was a nutter and we didn't really have good ground rules to fall back on. And it was a 2-bedroom so each of us shared a bedroom with another person (I was not with the crazy one, happily :P).

Honestly though living with young professionals who are already living successfully together and keeping the place clean...each person with their own bedroom for personal space... I would have a hard time passing that up, especially with the low rent and Merlin-welcome. Is there any particular amount of time you would have to stay, or could you leave fairly quickly if things didn't work out?

As long as your only hesitation is the number of people and not anything else, I would be open to trying it.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

I think as long as the rules are spelled out up front it wouldn't be bad. It also helps that they are working people.

Now story time. When Ben was in college he shared a house with 5-6 other people and i won't lie to you, it was rough for him. They weren't the most respectful group, everyone's stuff was used and abused. I don't think they were bad people, just college kids. No one was used to cleaning up after themselves and were sure not cleaning up after other people, liked to borrow things without asking.

But i think moving into an established house, there are rules and basic understandings already in place.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

Aren't you used to sharing your aparment with.... anyone who has a key?

I, personally, wouldn't but that's because I'm in a relationship and I don't really feel that that would be a good idea for my relationship or for my roommate's.

But, for you.... I say GO FOR IT! It sounds nice and, really, if that's the only negative (especially in a big city) it sounds like a deal too good to pass up.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Behavior Nerd

Does each bedroom have a lock? I'd be a bit worried about so many people and their friends having access to my stuff...

Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

I've never personally lived with that many people, but know quite a few who have, both successfully and miserably.

But: I also know people who (and have been myself) both happy and miserable with ONE roommate.

I'd say, in this particular situation, unless something jumps out at you, go for it. Chances are, if the people are already established and comfortable there, they aren't hiding any habits you'll clash with, unless they desperately can't afford rent and are looking for someone to move in ASAP. Usually the people who cause problems in those situations are the ones coming in from the outside.

Things I'd want to know beforehand:

1. What are rules regarding "quiet hours"/everyone's schedules?
2. Guests? Do they entertain larger groups of friends at any time? Host game night every thursday before your early morning class? Throw the occasional weekend party/are they willing to check with you beforehand or give you advance warning if they do?
3. Who pays for things like cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc? With two people it's easy to split/rotate those things, with larger groups it gets more confusing.
4. How groceries are kept track of. With that many people, does everyone get a shelf, does everyone label their stuff, etc. With one roommate you just sort of know who's is who's...with 5 it's easy to mix stuff up.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

I lived in a house with 5 other people my first year out of college. It was a humongous old remodeled house--6 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 4 bathrooms.

It was awesome. I had my own space when I needed "Karen time", but I also had built in people to watch movies with, order pizza with, and play on kickball teams with They were all random craigslist people, but it worked out really well.