Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM
dogstrong

Default How bad are fleas and ticks in your area?

Ticks are pretty gnarly here, fleas were disgustingly horrible last summer.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

It depends on where you go here, really. My pets have never had a single flea on them, we don't use prevention, and we go walking through the woods a whole lot. And Maggie has probably had five ticks on her in the entire time we've had her.

I go walking around in deep woods a lot, and I've only had one tick on me. My friend however, always ends up with ticks on him, and this is when we're walking together. I think it might be because they grab on his leg hair, because I don't have any haha.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We've never had an issue with fleas and ticks, never used preventative, and basically love in the woods. However, we've had a few ferrets come in to rescue as strays that were covered in both. So I think it depends on... Something.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
It depends on where you go here, really. My pets have never had a single flea on them, we don't use prevention, and we go walking through the woods a whole lot. And Maggie has probably had five ticks on her in the entire time we've had her.

I go walking around in deep woods a lot, and I've only had one tick on me. My friend however, always ends up with ticks on him, and this is when we're walking together. I think it might be because they grab on his leg hair, because I don't have any haha.
Pretty much this.

They CAN get RIDICULOUSLY BAD down here. Like epidemic and you want them in a plastic bubble bad. Like, one day your apartment is infested with fleas bad.

But other times, you can tempt fate for years and never get them. It seems worse the closer to Memphis you get. Woods aren't really that bad.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Never had a flea problem, but ticks thrive out here. Millie once even had tick fever. :/
When Lucy came home she brought ticks along with her- lots and lots of baby ticks. Absolutely disgusting. She slept in my bed, so she got my bedroom and ME infested as well.
*shudders from the memory*

Fortunately for some reason I haven't seen them on my dogs in years, but they pop up on other people's dogs and livestock a lot.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Top Dog

Neither seem to be an issue here. Apparently dog lice can be though, and I'm not in the woods enough to know what ticks are really like around here. But my dogs and I are pretty active during spring/summer and I have never seen a tick or a flea or lice on any of my dogs ever, and they are never on any sort of preventative. And since I'm not used to anything like that, if I ever do find something on me or my dogs, I would freak out lol. Crawly things and I are not friends.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Aussie Obssessed

In Wisconsin there are hardly any fleas except for the fleas they can get from gnawing on a freshly killed rabbit. but there are no fleas that live in the fields or grass or anything like that.

As for ticks, there are no ticks in the fields at my house but driving only 5 minutes away my dogs will pick up ticks in the woods and fields. Our house is in the tickless twilight zone.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Never had an issue with fleas or ticks before...and I've already had to pull a tick each off the dog and cat. And at the clinic, we have had at LEAST five dogs come in with tick infestations.

Needless to say, Parastar went on all of the dogs, and Apollo got dosed with EasySpot.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

We don't have them, or heartworm, it's too cold too long, 6ish months if winter...with snow.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Ticks are pretty gnarly here, fleas were disgustingly horrible last summer.
Basically this. And. AND one of those little bastards bit me. Die! Poison all the things

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/