Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Professional Nerd

Default Pictures of people who mock me

Read this article today...

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/23/pict...e_who_mock_me/

I thought it was very powerful. Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Let it be

Good for her. This actually drives me nuts when I hear people doing this. I actually see it MOSTLY from other women comparing themselves. Like oh, I may be fat but at least I am not THAT fat. Shut up your face. GRR
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think it's a great project and does help keep people liable for how they interact with other human beings.

BUT while I agree that thin privilege and the hate women feel for their bodies and eachother is a serious issue and I do feel that in some of those pictures,people were being truly awful.
I also, as someone who lives in the city and walks around a lot, think that a lot of those people were just looking up and walking..and I don't really think those people deserve to be featured without their permission in such a public forum.

That said, I have no idea how much hate or what she feels walking around in public and who am I to say these people weren't looking at her in a certain way or the picture didn't hold more of a story.

My feelings about the project are mostly good, and I do think it's an important issue
..but I also feel there are some innocent bystanders in those photos.
but who knows.

Either way, it's a great project.

EDIT AGAIN:
I think part of my uncomfortableness with the whole thing honestly is just me facing my privilege on this issue..
Maybe she is that mocked in her everyday life, maybe there is more to those pictures than we can see..

Last edited by Fran101; 04-24-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

The blog caused me to be a little emotional, I am also "fat" and I know what it is like to be in her shoes. I have always thought I was confident, but when my social anxiety became more apparent to me, I realized that while I am ok with how I look, I assume other people are not, and that actually makes me really uncomfortable. So it is a false sort of confidence. I don't feel that I should have to change my appearance to be happy (I am healthy, despite my weight.) but I wish I could change how people perceive me.

How about we all just start judging people based on their character, and not by their appearance?

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Lab Love

I agree with most posters who say she is assuming they're thinking badly of her. Sure, some might be, but I doubt the majority are even given her a second thought as they pass by her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post

BUT while I agree that thin privilege and the hate women feel for their bodies and eachother is a serious issue and I do feel that in some of those pictures,people were being truly awful.
I also, as someone who lives in the city and walks around a lot, think that a lot of those people were just looking up and walking..and I don't really think those people deserve to be featured without their permission in such a public forum.

EDIT AGAIN:
I think part of my uncomfortableness with the whole thing honestly is just me facing my privilege on this issue..
Maybe she is that mocked in her everyday life, maybe there is more to those pictures than we can see..
What is 'thin priviledge'?

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post

What is 'thin priviledge'?
Thin privilege is a social phenomenon that exists as a function of fat stigma. It's basically the assumption in this culture that fat=bad and thin=good.

Thin people are more likely to get a job, many over-weight people are not allowed to adopt children in certain cases, being over-weight has been a factor in losing parental-rights/custody battles, over-weight people are often not treated by doctors because their real ailments are dismissed as an issue about their weight, people make assumptions about overweight people and are portrayed that way in the media, things not being made to fit your body type (public transport seats, carnival rides, medical equipment) etc..

It's basically the privileges and perks in this society we don't really notice but have because we are thin.

This is NOT to say that thin people have it made or bad things don't happen to thin people.. just that there are privileges that we don't notice or feel.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Thin privilege is a social phenomenon that exists as a function of fat stigma. It's basically the assumption in this culture that fat=bad and thin=good.

Thin people are more likely to get a job, many over-weight people are not allowed to adopt children in certain cases, being over-weight has been a factor in losing parental-rights/custody battles, over-weight people are often not treated by doctors because their real ailments are dismissed as an issue about their weight, people make assumptions about overweight people and are portrayed that way in the media, things not being made to fit your body type (public transport seats, carnival rides, medical equipment) etc..

It's basically the privileges and perks in this society we don't really notice but have because we are thin.

This is NOT to say that thin people have it made or bad things don't happen to thin people.. just that there are privileges that we don't notice or feel.

I don't really understand. It sounds like something made for people who cannot claim responsibility of their own life choices, and try to make thin people feel guilty about something they shouldn't be.

Fat penalty seems like a better word for it.

Oh my god, if this doesn't post I'm going to be mad. Chaz is being really screwy, I've tried to post this like 7 times.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
I think it's a great project and does help keep people liable for how they interact with other human beings.

That said, I have no idea how much hate or what she feels walking around in public and who am I to say these people weren't looking at her in a certain way or the picture didn't hold more of a story.

My feelings about the project are mostly good, and I do think it's an important issue
..but I also feel there are some innocent bystanders in those photos.
but who knows.

Either way, it's a great project.

EDIT AGAIN:
I agree with this, there were only a couple of pics that I could see that could be laughing/looks directed at her. I have also gotten looks like this in passing & I (at least I don't think I am lol) ugly or fat ... I just think its people more being nosy or just noticing she isn't from the area. (more like "oh ... She must be a tourist" looks then "OMG an ugly fat person!" Looks.

If she truly didn't care she wouldn't feel the need to document it IMHO. I also think its wrong to exploit people, saying they are horrible, bad, insensitive people when there is no way to know from a picture what they are thinking ... That's what's wrong with society today.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I agree with Beanie.

Also in the series of photos Fran posted from the blog my first impression was that people were giving her looks because she was standing completely still in the middle of a busy sidewalk. THAT'S ANNOYING!!!!!! lol

I have been in all kinds of sizes in my life. Once I hit puberty and got my boobs and curves I was pretty steadily a size 12 but I was in great shape (I wrestled in highschool and was pretty competitive so I worked out A LOT). sure I was picked on about being "fat" a time or two but it was mostly just catty teenage drama stuff. I don't believe they really thought I was fat, I just wasn't rail thin and they needed some insult to fling because that's just how it was in highschool if you weren't in the "in" crowd.

I've been up to a size 22 and 250 lbs... probably about the size of the woman in this blog. I can't really say I ever felt like people were laughing at me or mocking me. I don't recall ever seeing anything that stood out but then... I wasn't looking for it either. I feel like I didn't get that kind of attention because even though I was obese I was still pleasant, always had a smile on my face and was friendly to everyone I met. So people were drawn to that and not focused on how my body looked.

NOW I am a size 16 and in a lot better shape. I am still 183 and I have more weight to lose to be where I feel I should be to be healthy and apparently I get a lot more looks from the opposite sex lol but I honestly don't notice it myself. Brian notices it more than I do and he loves it LOL. He's always like "heck yeah... she's hot, you should stare at her" LOL

Actually the biggest difference I have noticed with people commenting is when I changed my hair to red. People compliment my hair ALL THE TIME now lol. it's weird lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

I could very easily be pictured as one of the people "mocking" her. I people watch all the time and make smirky faces while I'm doing it. If you're standing in the middle of the sidewalk with a camera pointed at you I'm going to look to see what you're doing. Also I would probably make faces at her outfits in most of these (which is entirely hypocritical of me, it's not like I wear perfectly coordinated outfits....ever).

I think she's seeing what she expects to see in these photos. Which is really sad.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013