Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-13-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Best agility foundation resources

What are your favorites? Starting to try to stock up before puppy comes next year.

I've got Silvia Trkman's foundations DVD and Agility Right From the Start so far.

what about equipment? I'm still not going to have room for a full yard but right now I have 6 weaves and 3 jumps. I think next purchase will be a tunnel.

I really want to start off agility well with Nextdog.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

I remember really liking Deb Jones and Judy Keller's rather small book - In focus - developing a working relationship with your performance dog.
They also have a puppy foundation book which I haven't looked at yet.

I loved Susan Salo's puppy jumping and jumping foundations.

Susan Garrett's Crate Games is something that I use all the time. I know it's not exactly agility foundations (but it kinda is, if you know what I mean).

For equipment - I only had a box for rear-end awareness and a home made wobble board for ages, but we had a lot of fun (and still get them out to play with sometimes!)
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh yeah I have crate games too. I forgot about that one.

I've heard good things about puppy jumping. I'll have to put that on the list.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

I'd also suggest ST's Ready Steady Go, which is sort of an agility foundation DVD too. And taking her online classes could be a great resource (Puppy and Foundations) And especially if you get a PyrShep

Equipment wise, you can teach a lot of what you need for agility at home with a plank, a tunnel and some jumps.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm All Ears

I've decided I need more money. Hahaha. That's going to be the biggest factor. All the money goes to agility stuff.

I was planning on Silvia's puppy/tricks class. I think that could be a good investment.

I'm kind of running into an issue in that I had always anticipated taking the puppy through quite a few of Sandy's puppy and beginner's classes since she did a lot of positive reinforcement and her puppy class was made by Kristen (I dunno if you know here) to lead into agility work. But now that Sandy passed away, I have no puppy classes. We do some puppy classes here but they're infrequent. Or I could probably start the pre-agility classes early on and just repeat that a few times before moving on. Mostly for socialization's sake. I figure especially if I get a pyrshep I'll need some classes pretty right off the bat.

Which tunnels do you guys like? Affordable agility has some 9' $80 ones. But I can't tell how sturdy they are or if they bend from the pictures. Do you NEED a competition sized one? I want something that will last a few dogs and it is highly likely that I will have a larger (belgian-y size) dog eventually. Something that curves well would be nice.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

I vote for the on line courses of Recallers and the puppy classes/tricks, then Foundations of Trkman's. For a tunnel, a good choice would be a 6 " pitch, 10-15 ft, ligher and easier to store/move, durable but cheaper than the 4 pitch, 20 footers. A good tunnel is an investment and will last for at least 10 + years if cared for.