Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Active Pup

Default Fattening up a dog without the diarrhea

Well, it seems like Satin Balls, even my modified version with more starch and no added oil, is giving my dog the shits. I just can't be cleaning this up all day and I'm at my wit's end. If I feed him too much kibble, he gets the shits. If I feed him satin balls, same result. When I work I can't feed him more than twice a day, and I can't afford to pay someone to come over five times a week and feed him a third meal. He's not emaciated, but his hips are visible and with his roachy back he definitely looks too skinny. He's healthy otherwise - energetic, shiny coat, no other bowel issues except when I'm trying to fatten him up. Imodium doesn't seem to help.

So frustrated I could cry at this point.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Top Dog

What kbble is he on, and what is the calorie content of that kibble? Trying a kibble with a higher calorie content may help, as he'll eat the same volume but get more calories.

If he can tolerate it, canned beaver is PACKED with calories.

I totally understand, because Logan's the exact same way :/ He's not too thin now, but it took FOREVER to get him to a good weight.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for your reply. He's on Cal Natural Grain-Free Chicken - 454.0 kcal/cup. He gets a little over four cups a day. I'm hesistant to switch kibbles because it took a long time to find one that he did well on. He has some food allergies/sensitivities to grains and some protein sources (like fish).

Never heard of canned beaver - where do you get it?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobermonster View Post
Thanks for your reply. He's on Cal Natural Grain-Free Chicken - 454.0 kcal/cup. He gets a little over four cups a day. I'm hesistant to switch kibbles because it took a long time to find one that he did well on. He has some food allergies/sensitivities to grains and some protein sources (like fish).

Funny, that was my first thought when I saw this thread, Pet Food Direct sells it and it's made by Canine caviar.

Have you tried just adding in some canned food before though? He might be one of those dogs that doesn't do good on Raw, but he might tolerate cooked better, have you ever tried just adding a bit of fresh boiled hamburger/ground turkey to his meals before?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Active Pup

Haven't tried the canned food, no. He was on a totally raw diet before and did quite well. He was even on Satin Balls when I first got him (*very* skinny) and didn't have the same gut upset that he's having now. I don't know what's changed. Could it be having him on kibble *and* raw that's doing this? Maybe i'll try just feeding him the raw, no kibble, and adding some acidophilus. And I'll try to hunt down some canned beaver . . . I don't want to know how much it would cost to ship that stuff here from the US (via Pet Food Direct).
Old 04-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Haven't tried the canned food, no. He was on a totally raw diet before and did quite well. He was even on Satin Balls when I first got him (*very* skinny) and didn't have the same gut upset that he's having now. I don't know what's changed. Could it be having him on kibble *and* raw that's doing this? Maybe i'll try just feeding him the raw, no kibble, and adding some acidophilus. And I'll try to hunt down some canned beaver . . . I don't want to know how much it would cost to ship that stuff here from the US (via Pet Food Direct).
I forgot, you did have him on Raw before. And you know, it could be having him on both kibble and Raw is what's not working, if you think you can go back to just Raw that would be the best option. And you are still in Canada? I don't know how much PFD charges for shipping on that, but I was actually surprised to find the canned Beaver wasn't an astronomical price in itself, one second I want to look it back up again myself...

EDIT: Yeah, case of 12 cans is only $34.49
Quote:
Ingredients

Ground Beaver, Water Sufficient for Processing, Carrageenan gum, Cassia Gum.

Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 13%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.5%
Crude Fat (min) 6%
Moisture (max) 76%
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:

My Malinois is on the same food and has the same issues. I'll be curious to see what you accomplish. At this point, I'm afraid to give him anything other than the CA Natural.